Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2012 Commander 1000XT, I took it for the first trail ride and found out that it won't go into Low gear/range... it's showing all gears on the dash as I cycle through except Low. Anyone else had this issue or know what to check or do to address it?

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
I recently bought a 2012 Commander 1000XT, I took it for the first trail ride and found out that it won't go into Low gear/range... it's showing all gears on the dash as I cycle through except Low. Anyone else had this issue or know what to check or do to address it?
It may be a common problem inheriant to Commanders and the OG Mavericks.

Pull the passenger seat out and that engine side-cover off....you will see the shift cable-end at the lower left corner.

Now work the shifter from P to L and pay close attention to the outer sheath of the cable end. It will probably be OK in P, R, and N.....but watch it's operation in H and L. If it doesn't operate as when in P to N, that is the problem.

Disconnect that end, unscrew the rubber boot so you can see what the problem is when you try to select L (it's a short metal sleeve slipping out of the sheath end)......the inner cable will probably be bent a little, so straighten it best you can.

You can then press that short metal sleeve back in place and lightly stake the outside of sheath onto the metal rod with a small chisel/hammer... effectively pinching/crimping them back together again.

Done properly, this will get you back in the game....run it as is, or order a new cable if you don't trust it.

If this isn't the problem, you may have a problem inside with the shifter mechanism....good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may be a common problem inheriant to Commanders and the OG Mavericks.

Pull the passenger seat out and that engine side-cover off....you will see the shift cable-end at the lower left corner.

Now work the shifter from P to L and pay close attention to the outer sheath of the cable end. It will probably be OK in P, R, and N.....but watch it's operation in H and L. If it doesn't operate as when in P to N, that is the problem.

Disconnect that end, unscrew the rubber boot so you can see what the problem is when you try to select L (it's a short metal sleeve slipping out of the sheath end)......the inner cable will probably be bent a little, so straighten it best you can.

You can then press that short metal sleeve back in place and lightly stake the outside of sheath onto the metal rod with a small chisel/hammer... effectively pinching/crimping them back together again.

Done properly, this will get you back in the game....run it as is, or order a new cable if you don't trust it.

If this isn't the problem, you may have a problem inside with the shifter mechanism....good luck!
Thanks, I'm leaning towards ordering a new cable since the bike is older, possibly save myself some hassle as well!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts