Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my machine into the shop 3 times now with no solution to the problem. About 20-30 miles into a ride my commanders engine stalls. It will start back up and then do it again in a short distance. Only after I let it cool down will it run steady again. I have changed the main relay, replaced coil, replaced ignition switch, replaced camshaft knock sensor, replaced spark plugs, and cleaned TPS. The dash shows no codes. any suggestions?

Phil

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Thanx for such a concise description of the problem and work to correct the problem...

The very first thing that hit me square between the eyes was fuel delivery that you haven't looked at yet. This has all the symptoms of the fuel tank being so tightly capped (not able to vent to atmosphere) that as the tank and gas heats up when drawing fuel for 20-30 miles, the fuel pump can't overcome this issue, effectively the tank suction has overcome the fuel pump ability to draw fuel. Obviously, after setting awhile, a little air can replenish into the tank and your good for another short drive until it happens again.

If you can go for another ride and duplicate this problem, quickly get out and loosen the gas cap....listen closely for the suction sound of the tank taking air in...good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for such a concise description of the problem and work to correct the problem...

The very first thing that hit me square between the eyes was fuel delivery that you haven't looked at yet. This has all the symptoms of the fuel tank being so tightly capped (not able to vent to atmosphere) that as the tank and gas heats up when drawing fuel for 20-30 miles, the fuel pump can't overcome this issue, effectively the tank suction has overcome the fuel pump ability to draw fuel. Obviously, after setting awhile, a little air can replenish into the tank and your good for another short drive until it happens again.

If you can go for another ride and duplicate this problem, quickly get out and loosen the gas cap....listen closely for the suction sound of the tank taking air in...good luck!
That make perfect sense. I will try that. I adjusted the valves last night. They were out of tolerance also. Thank you for your input

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fuel pump

I checked the vent line and it was clear. I removed the gas cap while it was cutting out and it did not help. Although they checked the fuel pressure at the dealer and it was good while the engine was cool and the machine had not been run, I thought maybe the pump was weakening after it run for a while. I ordered i new pump off ebay $75 apposed to the $450 the dealer wanted. Installed it and took the machine for a test drive last night. No problems so far. I hope that was the problem. I put about 60 miles on With no problems.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
I checked the vent line and it was clear. I removed the gas cap while it was cutting out and it did not help. Although they checked the fuel pressure at the dealer and it was good while the engine was cool and the machine had not been run, I thought maybe the pump was weakening after it run for a while. I ordered i new pump off ebay $75 apposed to the $450 the dealer wanted. Installed it and took the machine for a test drive last night. No problems so far. I hope that was the problem. I put about 60 miles on With no problems.
Awesome.... a fuel delivery issue it may be.....Good going on the possible remedy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts