Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Commander 1000 XP with just over 50 hours. I have been using it mostly around the house for hauling wood. I have noticed lately when I press on the gas, there is no response. My top speed is just around 30 MPH. There is no snappy response anymore, The tires wont spin in loose dirt. Any thoughts????

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Have you turned on the key and read everything on the dash before starting?..no messages indicating error codes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you turned on the key and read everything on the dash before starting?..no messages indicating error codes?

Yes, No messages. It runs around the yard at low speeds, but when the gas is pressed for speed or to go up a little hill, there is no power or pick up??

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
When you press more on pedal, does the engine rev up more, bog like it is straining to go faster but can't, or engine does not respond any? Any burnt rubber smell?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Which Key are you using? There are 3 different ones and when you first turn it on the Speedo will tell you which one you have. They are supposed to be color coded with Black as the Performance, Gray is slower, and Orange is for kids and limits you to like 15mph. Just a thought as I grabbed my gray key once and thought I'd broken my machine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes.. pressing the pedal the engine does rev up more and feels like straining. No Burnt Smells. And the only key I have ever used was the performance key. The grey key is still in the plastic. I am also seeing this message from time to time. "Dess Key not Recognized" after turnign the key off and then back on that message will dissappear. Thanks for the replies and ideas...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
one other thing I have noticed it that my cooling fan runs constantly. From the time I start my commander until i shut it off. Whe new it only came on when the engine got worked and heated up???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you press more on pedal, does the engine rev up more, bog like it is straining to go faster but can't, or engine does not respond any? Any burnt rubber smell?
Additional testing... When my seatbelt is off and I give it gas, i go nowhere.. The engine revs a little, but the commander wont move. ??

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Did you buy this new or used?

There are 3 different key programs for these....OSHA approved orange key limits to 25 mph, grey key limits to 45 mph, black key unlimited (73 mph)..... all 3 colored keys can be programmed to any 3 levels.

When seat belt is unlatched, they will only go about 8 mph, then level off until belt is latched...safety interlock.

In stock form, the fan will cycle on and off. If you bought this used, previous owner could have installed an aftermark "chip"... it's normally called a black box and one paticular make does make fan run whenever key is on. If you do have this box, it could be malfunctioning for your top end, the throttle rheostat could be faulty, the ECM may need reflashed, or the primary could be hanging up and not allowing shiftup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Scheduled for Maintenance next week. I will repost with findings... Hope it is a simple fix !!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Commander is Back!! found out that I was only running on one cylinder. Found a bad plug. Replaced both sparks and running like new....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts