Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon everyone. Im still working on getting the commander that i bought in a box back together. I filled it with fluids on friday and when i got back to the shop on monday there was engine oil leaking under it. As best I can tell the oil leak is coming from the passenger side of the engine just ahead of where the engine and transmission come together. I can only see it in a mirror but there is an 8mm threaded hole that has no bolt in it on the underside of the engine and it seems to be dripping from there. The hole is dirty and there doesnt look like it had anything in it before but as best I can see that is where it is coming from. I have attached 2 pictures to give you an idea of what I am seeing. Thanks in advance for your help

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
I would wipe down the entire area above and below, then spray Brakecleen up / into the crevices you couldn't wipe....make it squeaky clean.

Start and run inside shop for a bit...verify any drips...if none, drive around the block a few times slowly and check again. Keep watching area until the first drip appears, then you have found the leak and know what to focus your energies on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its clean as a whistle. Im on my second can of brake clean lol. I can see it drip. Im going to take the motor mount and trans bolts out so i can lift it up slightly. and see it better but it really looks like its coming from that open threaded hole in the bottom of the case but I just cant be sure yet. I hate trying to see things in a mirror lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
How much does it cost to fix an oil seal leak?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forgot to post that I found it. It was the rear through shaft seal. This time I had the engine/trans out in under an hour so it wasnt to bad. Ive been a master auto mechanic for over 30 years and I think cars are much easier lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts