Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone here had a review on the 29.5 Terminators Tires? Also, I have an 800XT Commander and was wondering if tires this big would be too much for the 800? I want some aggressive tires but I don't want to lose alot of power in the proccess. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Odyknuck I will ckeck into the new clutching. But have you heard anything about the terminator tire itself? Or seen any in action?

·
Registered
9 Posts
terms 29.5

I have the 29.5 terms on my 1000XT. Mud is pretty much all I do with my machine beside a few utility jobs around the house. These tires work awesome in the mud, but they are heavier than stock and much bigger and more aggressive. They will rob some power from your machine. Its not bad at all in low gear, that's where I always run when mudding. High gear is where the power loss due to the tires is more noticable. I'm planning on getting a clutch kit for my machine next week to try to gain back some or most of the performance lost due to the bigger tires. Trust me, the traction givin by these tires far outweighs the little performance loss. i can go anywere my buddies go on there quads with little or no effort compared to some of there struggles.
Another thing, the terms ride nice and smooth on harder surfaces, unlike the outlaws and silverbacks, that's what helped sell me as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the 29.5 terms on my 1000XT. Mud is pretty much all I do with my machine beside a few utility jobs around the house. These tires work awesome in the mud, but they are heavier than stock and much bigger and more aggressive. They will rob some power from your machine. Its not bad at all in low gear, that's where I always run when mudding. High gear is where the power loss due to the tires is more noticable. I'm planning on getting a clutch kit for my machine next week to try to gain back some or most of the performance lost due to the bigger tires. Trust me, the traction givin by these tires far outweighs the little performance loss. i can go anywere my buddies go on there quads with little or no effort compared to some of there struggles.
Another thing, the terms ride nice and smooth on harder surfaces, unlike the outlaws and silverbacks, that's what helped sell me as well.
how many miles do u have on them and how r they holding up?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got these tires at the beginning of August and ran into late fall, not exactly sure how many miles, maybe 300?? When mudding, we don't put on big mileage as we are not touring, so far they are like brand new still, but IMO I have low mileage. Some mud holes are nasty too, with stumps and hidden rocks, tires holding up mint, wish I could say the same for my rims........... looking for a pair fo front XT rims???

·
Registered
5 Posts
sounds like we have about the same riding style. been thinking about gettin terms just wanted to b sure they were going to last

·
Registered
9 Posts
i think they will last just as good as anything else out there? I've got buds that run zillas and silverbacks and they all wear very similar. I have snorkelled my machine and looking at a rad relocate next, just not sure where yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Snowcowboy.....Thanks for the insight. I bought me a set last friday. We went on a ride with about 300 bikes here in louisiana and I must say the terminators were just what I was looking for. These tires pull great and look mean. But what I really like is that the softer rubber will give when you hit a stump or root. Which I think will save alot of axels. The outlaws and silverback don't have much give to them. I did notice a little loss in power, but like you said I have to ride in low most the time anyway on these swamp trails. So for me it was well work a little loss in power for a tire that pulls like these do. Let me know how the clutch kit works for you. I'm sure that will help alot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Snowcowboy.....Thanks for the insight. I bought me a set last friday. We went on a ride with about 300 bikes here in louisiana and I must say the terminators were just what I was looking for. These tires pull great and look mean. But what I really like is that the softer rubber will give when you hit a stump or root. Which I think will save alot of axels. The outlaws and silverback don't have much give to them. I did notice a little loss in power, but like you said I have to ride in low most the time anyway on these swamp trails. So for me it was well work a little loss in power for a tire that pulls like these do. Let me know how the clutch kit works for you. I'm sure that will help alot.
Got the clutch kit installed, big improvement in high range for sure, not so noticable in low range, will fine tune the kit some more before next ride. I agree the terms lugs do have some flexibility with should help save axles a bit

·
Registered
30 Posts
I as well have a 800xt I'm planning to put some terms on when
I get a chance. Here in Louisiana it's mostly mud and hard packed
Trails and I've herd nothing but good things about these tires. I saw
Them in action at mud nationals last month and plan on going with
Some 28's on my bike. I was told they wouldn't work on my
Stock wheels do to clearence problems. I think a set of wheel spacers would
Remedy this problem. Anybody have some insight on the size spacer
I would need?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure what width you are planning on getting. i have 29.5' x10x14 all the way around on my stock XT wheels, no spacers. Not many problems with fitment or rubbing. I will admit they do rub up front when you are turning and the shock compresses lots at the same time. Its a slight rub, cranked my shocks up from position 3 to 4 and eliminated most of the rubbing. you should have no issues with the 28's

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am from Louisiana and I am considering putting some terms on my 2012 1000 xt. I am a little concerned about power loss in high and don't want to have to fool with a clutch kit, I don't mind lossing top end but I can't stand a machine that feels like it can't pull its own weight during take off and acceleration spurts between 25 to 40 mph. How much power loss do they really cause? I am looking for 28 x 12x 14 for the back paired with 28x10x14 on front and can't seem find any in stock. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah, I tried getting a set of 28's at the beging of march and they were already out of stock at that time. I thought by now they would've caught up on manufacturing of them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts