Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Coming from a Sportsman 2 up touring ride where I hardly ever had it in awd do you guys ride these Commanders in 4wd all the time? The reason I ask is the fact that the front diff is not engaged until the wheel speeds from rear to front are different. Does this mean that the front diff is constantly shifting in and out? On the Poo in awd the front wheels were engaged all the time. One of the reasons for not running in 4wd is that I don't ride in harsh conditions, you'd be surprised what you can go thu without 4wd! The other is gas mileage.
So what is your ideas on this 4wd vs 2wd thing:eek:

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
We spend most of the time duneing and run 2 WD all the time unless we see a dune that necessitates 4 WD. We will then flip the 4x4 switch, back off of the throttle, then get back on the throttle....a safe transistion into 4x4 at any speed by doing this way and then climb the dune, then go back to 2 WD....all on the fly without stopping or even slowing down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
yep 2wd most of the time, i use 4x for crawling rocky stuff in low, or deep mud,snow & sand mountain nv.
its hard to stop these rigs. have fin!!

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Do I keep it in 2 or 4 wheel drive?
For me it depends on where I am riding and with who. For example if I have the wife with me it is always in 4 wheel becacause she is not into sliding around. And when I am on tight trails I alway keep it in 4 wheel. But if I want to have some fun and slide around I will keep it in 2 wheel.

About how the 4 wheel drive system works:
When you turn the switch ON or OFF it will not change until you let off the gas, so if going up a hill full or even half throttle you can make the switch change on the switch but it will not go into 4 wheel drive until you let off the gas momentarily. So wile it is not a problem in my option to do this (Commander Manual says to stop before going in and out of 4 wheel drive) you have to plan ahead if going up a hill. And on that note you will not hear any clunk or problem making the switch from 2 to 4 or 4 to 2 on the fly, just keep in mind you can move the switch any time but the front diff will not change until it you lit off the gas to make the change. You can tell it make the change by looking at the dash 4x4 indicator. I have made the change at 50 MPH and never had any problem.

Once in 4 wheel drive the Commander is really in 3x4 and one (can be either side) front wheel will also be pulling wile the other is freewheeling, that is until the wheel pulling makes about 2 and a half turns without the other front wheel turning, then all 4 wheels will pull equal. That is for about 30 seconds or so and then the 4th will will slowly stop pulling. If you have the QE (Quick Engage front Differential) it will only take about Half turn of the pulling front wheel ahead of the non pulling front wheel to engage the 4th wheel but it still only lasts about 30 seconds.

The way it works is inside the front diff there is a small built in Hydraulic pump that will pump any time the two front wheels are spinning at different rates (even if both are moving like moving forward in a mud hole but one wheel spinning faster) and when the HYD pump is pumping at the same time there is a bleed off that is always open so the pressure is always being released. When enough pressure is built up it pushes the gear in place to engage the 4th wheel but like I said it bleeds off in something like 30 seconds to the process starts all over again and again. On the QE it works the same way but the pressure required to engage the 4th wheel only take half turn instead of the 2.5 turns of the standard front Diff. Also keep in mind this all happens inside the front Diff and it happens if you are in 2 or 4 wheel drive. So if you are driving doing donuts in the sand in 2 wheel drive you will have one wheel turning faster on the outside and the difference will cause the two front wheels to lock together as if pumps up enough even then.

So with all that you can see if you are stuck in 4 wheel drive you will see 3 wheels digging a hole and the 4 will not turn until there are 2.5 turns of one wheel without the other and then the last wheel will start to pull for a wile until the pressure bleeds off and it start over again. The bleed off happens over time if you are moving or not. With the QE, like I said it only takes .5 turns to engage but works the same way.

So to have it in 2 or 4 wheel drive make almost no difference to the car because you are really in 3x4 most of the time. Keep in mind the Commander can climb great with this setup and if you understand what it is doing you can get up anything.

One last thing you might ask is why not put QE in all the Commanders? Well you can feel the front pull a little every time that 4 wheel engages (remember wile in 2 or 4 wheel drive) and with the QE you will feel the feedback and find it harder to make sharp turns much more often, so for most people the standard front Diff works great and drives without feeling the feedback for the most part where you will feel feedback more often with the QE.

Hope that helps and if I didn't make sense ask away I don't always make sense.

Bryan

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Awesome post Bryan!... thanx for the in-depth look at these front ends. I must say I've understood everything you posted except never given thought on exactly how the hydraulic pump releases the built-up pressures and the 30 second timeframe. It's a relief valve that is always open and the pump can over run that relief valve when front tire speeds excite the pump, thus hydraulically locking the front. After the pump is fully pressurized with the front wheels locked, then it takes about 30 seconds to bled off pressure and revert back to open.

Personally, this would be scary to me if I were climbing steep trails or rock climbing. The 2.5 turn standard front end has gotten plenty of peeps in trouble before they understand how the front locks... all self taught by seat time. If I'm rock climbing and finally get the front locked to grab both rocks with the front wheels, I would want it stay locked until I've conquered the hill....not revert back to an open front-end in 30 seconds when I may need it locked EVEN MORE! Scary!

I still regard my Rhino as the ultimate. Red button is always 3 wheel drive, then Yellow button is locked up 4 wheel drive until I manually revert back. I believe Article Cats are the same way, unlike our Commanders and the RZR.

sent from my twin-turbo RAZR

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Thanks Lance I have to agree I would rather have the system like on the Rhino or Arctic Cat. I would have no problem making the switch when needed.

I was also thinking the commander might bleed of quicker than 30 seconds.

I think I got some of that I info from you and for sure some from ODY. I would say point out if you think some of that is not correct because it happens. Lol. I have to say I feel the engagement all the time when driving ever sense I understood how it works.

Bryan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts