Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new Commander 1000 XT today. They told me after 10 hours the brake in maint. would cost $500. I'm actually trying to justify actually going to pick it up with that kind of cost.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
That seems a bit high, but has been happening quite a bit to new owners and many have complained that the work suppose to have got done, didn't ...can you do it yourself?

sent from my twin-turboed Razr

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That seems a bit high, but has been happening quite a bit to new owners and many have complained that the work suppose to have got done, didn't ...can you do it yourself?

sent from my twin-turboed Razr
Yes I can do it myself but they told me it was an important maint. and although they didn't say I couldn't do it myself, if I missed something that caused a problem later it may not be covered under the warranty. You also have to understand that even though the dollar is at par now we still get hooped with high prices in Canada and really here in Newfoundland where the dealer's for these machines are limited.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sailerman3: My suggestion would be to down load the check list they do and figure out how many of the items you can do yourself , then get a quote from them for the critical items, should cut your costs drastically.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you are not comfortable with doing the service yourself, talk to other dealers around your area. In my opinion your dealer is taking your wallet for a ride. That is exactly why I take my machine 30 miles to get it serviced instead of 8 miles, the dealer near me is really high on his service and parts prices, where the other dealer in a smaller town is happy to have to opportunity to service your machine and his people pay more attention to detail than the bigger dealer. I save money even it I cost out my time to travel the difference and the cost of fuel, and maintenance to my truck to take it to the other dealer. There are other threads on this forum discussing the differences in costs people pay, it is anywhere from 155 to over 500.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Sailerman3: My suggestion would be to down load the check list they do and figure out how many of the items you can do yourself , then get a quote from them for the critical items, should cut your costs drastically.
Great idea murray5p...document everything you do yourself in a maintenance log book...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Having more than one dealer in my area would be great but the nearest is 2 hours away. If I have to start doing that then I'll be spending all my money in gas. Where exatly can I download this check list and maint. book. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Having more than one dealer in my area would be great but the nearest is 2 hours away. If I have to start doing that then I'll be spending all my money in gas. Where exatly can I download this check list and maint. book. Thanks.
Look in your owner's manual for the checklist, but I may be thinking about the service manual instead....the maintenance book I referred to is simply a notebook for ongoing purchases and service work for your ride...date, hours, miles work done, goodies bought, costs etc.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sorry it is so far to another dealer, I guess that is why they get away with charging what they are charging. A maintenance log is always good to keep and you can do that in many ways just as long as you can keep it without it getting ruined or lost. Enjoy your machine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
$250 is a good deal. There is almost $100 in oils and filter if you use BRP products. I would be leery of anywhere that charges less than that. Either they are using cheap products or not doing the full service. Some of these places are a $150 oil change.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts