Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying a Commander and trying to decide if the extra money is worth getting a 1000. We have gotten reasonable prices on the 800 and the 1000xt, but the price differance of $2600 between the two makes the 800 alot more attractive. Me being a power junkie makes me want the 1000.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Nobody has driven both?
Have heard of a few that have bought the 800, but none have put a 800/1000 comparison in print ....plus we've never seen an 800 in our area yet! ....Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Registered
22 Posts
You could grab the 800 then go craigslist a zx11R that's totaled, yank the engine and throw it in there....

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will stay stock reguardless of which one we buy. I did test drive a 1000xt and the new rzr 900. I could not tell a differance in acceleration between the two. But the Polaris has horrible engine braking - especially if you chop the throttle.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Yea there are pros and cons with both machines. I drove my Buddies XP 900 over this past weekend and I definatly prefer the confort of my Commander. The seat is way to far back in the XP and is non adjustable. I think the supension on the XP is better than the 1000X in its stock form howevr I did notice a bit more body roll with the XP. The low range in the XP tops out at about 8 MPH and high range is geared too high for tight woods. I like the Low range in the Commander much better as I can leave it there all the time in the Woods.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Both machines are nice..each one has it's pro's & con's
I would not trade the engine breaking...it you are going down a steep dune. it's nice to be able to give it gas and not be on the brakes..
Next week will be the 1st time that we will be riding trails...that's where I think I am really going to like the braking...

I don't think the stock suspension on the X will ever be as good as the XP but we are still working on the shock & spring adjustments...it's getting better going thru the sand whoops...

Plus our Commanders can haul the beer...:giggle:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Engine braking is a must. Riding around here its not a big deal, but in Colorado its a must in my opinion. No way would I trust brakes only going down Red Cone.:rofl:

This Can Am is actually for my parents. If it were me I would get the 1000, but looks like they are most likely getting the 800. It will be enough for them. I will always wish it had more when i ride it, but I doubt I will be on it much. The hard part will be keeping my boys off of it.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Engine braking is a must. Riding around here its not a big deal, but in Colorado its a must in my opinion. No way would I trust brakes only going down Red Cone.:rofl:

This Can Am is actually for my parents. If it were me I would get the 1000, but looks like they are most likely getting the 800. It will be enough for them. I will always wish it had more when i ride it, but I doubt I will be on it much. The hard part will be keeping my boys off of it.
Do you think your parents will be keeping it long term?....I know that is a lot of extra bux between the 800 & 1000, but may pay off in resale if they don't like it?..dunno.....this is probably a 50/50 debate for resale value worthiness....Lance

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have argued every angle, even resale. Most likely it will still be on the farm 10 years from now. The current farm vehicle is a 94 Polaris Magnum 425. Dad is keeping it as a beater so the Can Am stays nice longer.

What known weak points are there on Commanders?

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Belts...but I'm still on my original with a 1000 miles of duning...
use low range if just bopping around the farm...35 mph..

other most common is tierods bending..again I have not had a problem, but I know flyingbryan has tweaked his and replaced them with Holz..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had picked up on those two but decided my Dad probably won't hurt them. If that's the biggest issues, then he will be fine.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
I had picked up on those two but decided my Dad probably won't hurt them. If that's the biggest issues, then he will be fine.
I'm betting he will be more than tickled with the Commander 800 for a gutsy farm rig then if purchased for long-term employment....Lance

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
His real purpose for buying is to ride the Jeep roads in Colorado. The Jeep is too rough for him and Mom to go 4 wheeling anymore. The Commander should get them high without making them too sore. Plus the Jeep is too dang slow when the rest of us are on Motorcycles. lol

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I went 1000 XT but if your dad doesn't care than 800 will get the job done. And the 800 will get better gas mileage so may be better for what you are looking for. I would say it is worth putting 2" inch spacers on so they don't have any chance of rolling and it just is a lot nicer to drive with the spacers on (takes away the rolling feeling in the corners). The power steering is oh so nice too but a little pricey at $875. Maybe surprise them with the spacers and power steering.

I got my spacers from Factory UTV and my EPS from ATV Outfitters. If you do get the spacers you will need to torque them a second time after about 10 to 20 miles (they get loose every time at first even with loc-tite). The EPS (Electronic Power Steering) is so nice and will keep the wheel for pulling your hands when hitting a rock. If it where my dad those two things would be a must.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went 1000 XT but if your dad doesn't care than 800 will get the job done. And the 800 will get better gas mileage so may be better for what you are looking for. I would say it is worth putting 2" inch spacers on so they don't have any chance of rolling and it just is a lot nicer to drive with the spacers on. The power steering is oh so nice too but a little pricey at $875. Maybe surprise them with the spacers and power steering.

I got my spacers from Factory UTV and my EPS from ATV Outfitters. If you do get the spacers you will need to torque them a second time after about 10 to 20 miles (they get loose every time at first even with loc-tite. The EPS (Electronic Power Steering) is so nice and will keep the wheel for pulling your hands when hitting a rock. If it where my dad those two things would be a must.
Hey, thanks! Dad was a little dissapointed at how the steering was. Sounds like PS may cure it. I will check into it.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Hey, thanks! Dad was a little dissapointed at how the steering was. Sounds like PS may cure it. I will check into it.
There was a lot of people commenting on the Commander's hard steering....BLR here gave them heck about it,,,told them to man-up and quit being wusses........:giggle::giggle::giggle:.....guess who is talking about how nice PS would be now...:giggle::giggle::giggle:......Lance

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
There was a lot of people commenting on the Commander's hard steering....BLR here gave them heck about it,,,told them to man-up and quit being wusses........:giggle::giggle::giggle:.....guess who is talking about how nice PS would be now...:giggle::giggle::giggle:......Lance
It is one of those things you don't know you need until you have it. If I got a new Commander today I would not even drive it until I got the EPS. You even find in a slide you are just thinking about the slide and not what the front wheels will hit. I think Barbara is going to back peddal and get EPS.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
It is one of those things you don't know you need until you have it. If I got a new Commander today I would not even drive it until I got the EPS. You even find in a slide you are just thinking about the slide and not what the front wheels will hit. I think Barbara is going to back peddal and get EPS.
Yes I'm eating crow..:furious:..I know after this ride down at Chappie/Shasta I'm going to be whinning...and wanting EPS...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts