Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any known issues with the engine and drive train of the 800cc Commander?

Looking at a few used ones and one has some 8000+ miles on it. Just wondering if there were any known issues I need to consider.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff B In Maine

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
2011 & 12 rearends were bad...when you test drive it, listen for any odd noises from the rear besides the normal CVT sounds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
2011 & 12 rearends were bad...when you test drive it, listen for any odd noises from the rear besides the normal CVT sounds.
Okay thanks for the info LBR.

What about these 800 and 1000cc motors, are they the real deal?
Any issues with them in the 10k-20k range?

Just valve checks and adjustments along with routine servicings etc?

I'm just starting to get into looking into these things and don't know much because years back I didn't want to know much.... I knew I'd want one if I drove one.

Looking at the Can Am Commander as well as the Polaris RZRs 800-900s
Used ones to keep the $$$ ammt down for as best we can.
New would be nice but Sons college bills are coming due and we have a bunch of toys already...
But what's one more??? ;-)

I know this is a Can Am site but what do you know about the RZRs?
I looked into the Wildcat as well but have read a bunch of issues with the older 1000s with starter and case issues so those are off the list.

Jeff B In Maine

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
The Rotax is one of the most bulletproof engines out there and has been in production since the early 1920s....you take care of it, it will take care of you.

The 2011 Commander was BRPs first UTV and they missed the mark on the rearend...only because they wanted strength and decided to use a straight cut ring and pinion. Unfortunately those 2 years rear sections kind of rattled themselves into long term failures.

I know nothing about the RZR engines except they started production in mid 2000s. I would fly in any plane with Rotax power...but would run from a Polaris powered plane...lol

Good luck with whatever you chose for a machine...they are all fun!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Rotax is one of the most bulletproof engines out there and has been in production since the early 1920s....you take care of it, it will take care of you.

The 2011 Commander was BRPs first UTV and they missed the mark on the rearend...only because they wanted strength and decided to use a straight cut ring and pinion. Unfortunately those 2 years rear sections kind of rattled themselves into long term failures.

I know nothing about the RZR engines except they started production in mid 2000s. I would fly in any plane with Rotax power...but would run from a Polaris powered plane...lol

Good luck with whatever you chose for a machine...they are all fun!
Thanks again. Greatly appreciated.

Take care and happy travels.

Jeff B In Maine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts