Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
today I was riding with some friends high up in the Uinta Mountains when we came across a large snow berm. A friend of mine who just purchased some new tires for his Rhino, decided he was going to drive through it. only to end up stuck in the berm. So another friend with another newer Rhino decided he was going to show him how it was done, only the same results. So my third friend in his Polaris and I, the two machines with winches laugh and go see ya and drive around the corner, of course we were just kidding. So we drove back and I showed them how it is done, well I was throwing snow everywhere but I made it through, but as I was doing this I smelled a little rubber burning smell for about ten seconds and then it was gone. If it was belt slip, is that enough to require me to change the belt, meaning while my ego was feed my wallet is going to be a little hungry.

Oh by the way the Polaris decided to cheat and come downhill through the berm and use my tracks as his entry point. Wimp, but then he is not worried about having to replace a belt.:unsure:

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Way to show up those Rhinos...lol....you probably slipped the belt some ....no need to fret as these have dry clutches and any slight slipping will emit the rubber smell....drive it like you stole it

When the belt is really hot and you stop, then start, you may hear and smell the "rubber chirp" of a slight slip too....no big deal either ....

best thing anyone can do after a really hard run (like high speed all out for a couple miles or a low range, short term blast thru a mud bog or sand climb etc.) is to NEVER shut the rig right down to park or BS....let idle a couple minutes to let belt cool down, then shut off....if it is immediately shut down, the sheaves can put a flat spot on the belt ...these sheaves approach the red hot stage when it's run really hard is the reason to let belt cool.

always use low range as much as possible ....

sent from my twin-turboed Razr

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the advice I am adding a blower to the CVT cooling path to help cool the belt better. It was all in good fun and of course who buys the first round.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Can never let a challenge go unchallenged...lol

We have a guy up here in our dunes with a RZR that takes every challenge and it could be a 3 belt night for him...lol
he can change his belt in about 15mins at the most...lol

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I start to break belts I will have to let the challenge go, I mean the best price I have come across for the BRP OEM belt is $117.00 burning three of those in a night would take all the fun out of the weekend.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
If I start to break belts I will have to let the challenge go, I mean the best price I have come across for the BRP OEM belt is $117.00 burning three of those in a night would take all the fun out of the weekend.
Wow...let us in on your $117.00 belts please!...great pricing for OEMs

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheap cycle part dot com I have bought some other parts from them and have been happy with the products and their service.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
cheap cycle part dot com I have bought some other parts from them and have been happy with the products and their service.
On behalf of our community here ...THANK YOU! ..it's time for me to get a couple more for my ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts