Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Galamis this weekend and checked my air filter sunday morning to find it saturated with oil and puddles of oil thru out entire air box. Engine oil level is ok at 1/2 cross hatch has anybody ever seen this? my machine has about 60hrs on it- thanks for the replies-Brad:help:

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
When you checked oil and was at 1/2 cross hatch, did you dip the oil stick in and pull out, or screw it in snug and pull out for said measurement?

Sent by my twin-turbo Droid Razr

·
Registered
7 Posts
My old man had this problem with his Outty. Dealership had to eventually warranty the motor. If I recall correctly his Outty only had about 3300 miles when this happened. I'm thinking you may want to take it to the dealer and have it looked at.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1/2 cross hatch with it threaded, no smoke from exhaust do not suspect that it was over filled tho, is this engine very sensitive to oil level?

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
1/2 cross hatch with it threaded, no smoke from exhaust do not suspect that it was over filled tho, is this engine very sensitive to oil level?
Threaded in is correct ....some guys aren't aware of that and just stick in and read without threading tight first ....they then overfill the crankcase with their wonky oil level reading.....

I was just fishing ya, but you past the test! ....:D:D.....LOL!!

Sent by my twin-turbo Droid Razr

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just talked to the dealer they told me that the reason the air filter and air box is full of oil is because the air filter was so dirty that it made the engine labor causing an increase in crank case pressure which made the oil spue into the air box thus saturating the filter and is not covered under warranty and I will need to purchase a new air filter. I have been a Ford tech for many years and know that this is absolute bull****. I know my filter was not restricted I check it frequently, How can this engine or any other engine have increased combustion chamber pressure with a restricted inlet? according to the service manager at Apache (tempe) this engine will run so well with a restricted air filter that all that pressure will blow by the rings,pressurize the crankcase and fill the air box full of oil WTF? A restricted air filter will cause the burn to go rich and lower combstion chamber pressure,torque then horse power. Am I missing something?

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
just talked to the dealer they told me that the reason the air filter and air box is full of oil is because the air filter was so dirty that it made the engine labor causing an increase in crank case pressure which made the oil spue into the air box thus saturating the filter and is not covered under warranty and I will need to purchase a new air filter. I have been a Ford tech for many years and know that this is absolute bull****. I know my filter was not restricted I check it frequently, How can this engine or any other engine have increased combustion chamber pressure with a restricted inlet? according to the service manager at Apache (tempe) this engine will run so well with a restricted air filter that all that pressure will blow by the rings,pressurize the crankcase and fill the air box full of oil WTF? A restricted air filter will cause the burn to go rich and lower combstion chamber pressure,torque then horse power. Am I missing something?
IMO, you ARE missing something .....a competent dealer / service center that is passing the buck onto you, the consumer ...isn't the only way that a crankcase builds that much pressure is blowby?

sent from my twin-turboed Razr

1 - 8 of 8 Posts