Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if someone can recommend a good am/fm antenna?...I would rather have something hidden but a small whip would be alright. Any comment on the stock LTD one?

Also you guys that have Sirius sat radios where are you mounting your antenna?

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I used an antenna designed for a boat in my rhino. It was basically a wire that I ran under the hood. I just use an iPod now.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Crank you brought up question and now I have more questions, to add to yours.

I am hoping to have some tunes by the summer, now I'm not sure which way to go.

have thought about Sirius, but if we are in dense foliage it comes and goes,

Lance has a JStrong roof with a radio/CD in the Rhino..it's a pain to read the display, change channels...

Jason..I'm an idiot when it comes to I-pod...how do you download music and is their a cost to download?
and I also thought I-pod was just ear phone, but I know you have a killer sound system in your X.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Crank you brought up question and now I have more questions, to add to yours.

I am hoping to have some tunes by the summer, now I'm not sure which way to go.

have thought about Sirius, but if we are in dense foliage it comes and goes,

Lance has a JStrong roof with a radio/CD in the Rhino..it's a pain to read the display, change channels...

Jason..I'm an idiot when it comes to I-pod...how do you download music and is their a cost to download?
and I also thought I-pod was just ear phone, but I know you have a killer sound system in your X.
You just need to set up an iTunes account. Super simple. Even lance could do it! You can load up any CDs you have for free and buy music at the iTunes store. iTunes lets you select what actually goes on your iPod. I think if I had the tunes thing to do over, I'd invest in a rugged radio system or equivalent.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spent some time last night looking online at antenna's...there's plenty to choose from so I guess I'll just pic one:giggle:...would probably mostly use the sat radio or a flash drive with mp3s but would still like to get the local stations for the news and weather.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Spent some time last night looking online at antenna's...there's plenty to choose from so I guess I'll just pic one:giggle:...would probably mostly use the sat radio or a flash drive with mp3s but would still like to get the local stations for the news and weather.
The Sirius add-on antenna I installed on our truck is pretty basic....it's the size of a silver dollar with one ~18 gauge sized wire that runs to the Sirius receiver....so do you have a removable Sirius receiver that you can re-dock into the Commander from another vehicle or are you thinking of a dedicated receiver just for the Commander?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The Sirius add-on antenna I installed on our truck is pretty basic....it's the size of a silver dollar with one ~18 gauge sized wire that runs to the Sirius receiver....so do you have a removable Sirius receiver that you can re-dock into the Commander from another vehicle or are you thinking of a dedicated receiver just for the Commander?
I have a dedicated receiver...I guess I will leave the sat antenna loose for now and move it around to see where I get the best signal.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Sounds like you hit a home run for a nice price ....you think it will be good in fringe areas?

sent from my twin-turboed Razr

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like you hit a home run for a nice price ....you think it will be good in fringe areas?

sent from my twin-turboed Razr
I would think an external antenna would be better where there is a weak signal...I want to install my old icom radio one day and use the same whip with an adapter for the FM.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So the Sirius is compatible with the factory JVC Commander audio system? I had the stereo installed on my 2013XT but was very disappointed with the FM signal for the price of this unit, I can only pick up one station and that comes and goes, so I just listen to the same songs on my ipod over and over again, it's getting old, would like to be able to install Sirius or have a better antenna reception so that I can just listen to the local rock station. Is Sirius easy to hookup? or any good antenna suggestions?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts