Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Andrew at Buckshot Racing will be at Glamis this weekend testing his new commander LT Kit. He said that the travel is somewhere around 16+ in the rear and I forget what the front was. He will be at Pad 2.5 and said for anyone who is out there to stop by and go for a test ride.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
LT Kit update

Sorry for the delay but I have been working in and out of town and unfortunately have not had time to catch up with Andrew. Andrew has done an extremely good job in building a kit for the commander. The commander technically is more difficult to get travel out of than my A arm LT Rhino. You are not going to get more than
10" to 12" of travel using stock length shocks with this beast. Andrew went to a longer shock front and rear and the car gets 16" inches of travel and handles ANYTHING that the desert and the dunes can throw at it. It definitely is superior to my LT Rhino and that kit is dial in to perfection. Andrew will post a video very soon but here are some pics that I took. BTW he created both a standard length tie rod and one with his kit that is much stronger than the stock one.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Could you put his contact info up?

I don't know if I am ready for this but others might be. Looks nice, can't wait to see more. If you are doing videos maybe you could do a walk around video of the long travel close up too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buckshot Racing Kit

Sorry for the huge delay!!! Andrew is a bit of a perfectionist and will not leave anything alone until he makes it bullet proof. His kit performs much better than I thought given all the issues with the rear trailing arms these commanders are causing so many LT Kit manufacturers. The car at full speed hits incredible bumps, dips, and whoops and keeps tracking true. He did replace the Tie rods with bigger stronger rods because the stock ones are crap. We will be out in the desert this weekend (Jawbone) with some other commanders and UTV riders doing another video. If anyone has any questions call Andrew Buck at Buckshot Racing at 714-335-2825.

YouTube - 14' Long Travel Kit on a Cannam By Buckshot Racing

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll race that machine any day any where with my Teryx.

Sorry, just trying to act tough, lol.

Looks like a really nice kit! He using the 2" Kings? Boxed front arms, gonna be great!
Tough? lol Andrew used the 2" Kings because the length, lack of fade and the responsiveness of this shock was far better than the short length stock shocks. He was able to get more travel and so far this thing has handled everything that the desert has thrown at it. Desert terrain is much more demanding on the car then the sand and after getting the King shocks dialed in even at full throttle the car is under complete control.

·
Administrator
2,339 Posts
Sorry, just trying to act tough, lol.
So Hot Shot!!!!!....you wanna back up them words, pard?? (woops Lance, you forgot .... 2 clicks and your gone)........ummm, never mind.....could a CommanderTalk staff person please delete this post before DP reads it ........wait, that's ME!!!...ROTFL ....Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I noticed an aftermarket sway bar in the rear. Curious why his design did not utilize the OEM Bar?
Andrew replaced other OEM stuff as well because it was not up to his specifications. You will have to call him to ask why? With his box arm design replace tire rods, bushings, the kit is as durable as they get. With his 2.0 long King shocks the car has lots of rebound and travel and even over terrain as rough as that running hard and long they didn't fade. His Bullet car outperforms the commander due to better suspension and much more power but the commander with his suspension is much closer now.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Never understood why Can Am released such a powerful UTV with such a poor suspension. When my Rhino was stock you could drive it beyond the stock suspension but only under certain types of terrain. The commander bone stock is much more power than its suspension under ALL terrain unless you are hauling wood or something. This thing needs not a good suspension but a GREAT suspension.

Andrew told me: "The stock sway bar is removed and new buckshot bar is added. The stock bar is located at the pivot of the trailing arm making for a high leverage ratio which means the bar must be very large and able to twist to high degree. On stock travel this is ok at best but on long travel the angle of the twist would be extreme. By moving the bar further back o the arm there is no need for such a heavy bar as the leverage ratio is almost one to one. This makes for a lighter setup and easier to tune and better longevity as the bar does work as hard. King shocks were selected for there robust design and external compression adjustment. They are also 8" travel shocks giving a shock ratio of 1.75 instead of 2.3 as the stock travel of 6" would have. Generally you never want to go over 2.0 ratio. The upper bushings and sleeves are to thin and have been cracking and ruining the plastic bushings. To solve this we use a .120 wall chromoly sleeve and a custom delrin buckshot bushings". Tie Rods were replaced due to the thin weak OEM rods. They will still give before the steering rack but not nearly as quick."

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think this kit is sick How long would it take you to install this kit if i brought you my Xt ? I'm going to be taking a trip down sometime around the fall so this would be a good time to swing by and have this done.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
ALL I CAN SAY is WOW!

Andrew, a buddy with a full Desert Rhino, Sandcyco, and me went out today to ride, test, and demo the commander with Andrew's LT KIT. We started at the Jawbone store around 10:00 and after some adjustment to the kit I took Sandcyco for a fast whoop ride. We hit some deep tight whoops at 50+ mphs. The course had no room for mistake because there were rocks, and boulders off on all sides. The car steered straight and never bucks no matter how deep the whoops were. Both of us were like WOW and then the real fun begun. We hit the trail for some hard fast desert riding. After about 50 miles of fast hard riding it was clear to me that this suspension kit on the commander is second to nothing. There were times when I would be running 65 to 70 mphs on fast tight trails and a long series of big whoops would come up unsuspectingly. The car would track straight and turn tight in the whoop as though it was on flat smooth ground. As I got more comfortable with the trail, the car, and the suspension it was clear that the commander was no longer the same car. The car was as different as a moped is to Yamaha R1. When stock the commander was rough, crude, and stiff when approaching rough terrain at any speed. Stock the car could never handle whoops at Glamis and it would be a death sentence to tackle these desert whoops with stock suspension or even Fox shocks (Ask Sandcyco). The Buckshot Kit allowed this car to hit the biggest whoops as fast as I could drive. Even when the desert threw a small whoop and then 2 or 3 huge whoops in the middle followed by a G out the car absorb the hit and kept going, never bucking or bottoming out. At one time we stop and the guys were like "this trail is rough and its beating me up". When I switch to one of the LT Teryxs in the group I now under stood what they were talking about. The LT Teryx and LT Rhinos didn't feel like they were in the same category as the commander. The commander had a buggy ride and handling feel. Andrew will post some videos of this car in action so you can get a picture of what I’m talking about.

BTW If this kit wasn’t as well built as it is I would have flipped the car when I hit a rock and kicked the rear up and nearly flipped the car. The tire came off the car but the car was not damaged at all. Video to be posted soon…lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think this kit is sick How long would it take you to install this kit if i brought you my Xt ? I'm going to be taking a trip down sometime around the fall so this would be a good time to swing by and have this done.
Andrew is gonna do mine next with the "stock length" shocks and it sounds like it will be quick... will keep you posted..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Looks like we are all going to Dove Springs (same area as Jawbone) for Memorial Weekend. We will have lots of pics and video after that. Everyone is welcome to join us. ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like we are all going to Dove Springs (same area as Jawbone) for Memorial Weekend. We will have lots of pics and video after that. Everyone is welcome to join us. ;)
Don't run your commander too fast once you get that suspension and crash like I nearly did?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When do we get to see that near crash???
Never I hope..lol. Andrew has the video and I have not asked him to post it..lol. He did say it was going on his facebook. The desert is no joke and after years of running fast and hard there that was a quick reminder never stop paying attention.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts