Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2013 1000XT and I was looking to upgrade to gas shocks. There are several different brands out there, Elka, Fox, Walker Evans, King, ect. All of which I am finding are very pricey so I'm hoping for a little input before I bite the bullet. If anyone has any feedback, good or bad, I would greatly appreciate it. Also looking to upgrade to dual exhaust, clutching, air intake, and perhaps a power commander in the near future also, so any advice in that department would be great also, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
A less costly shock could be 1000X takeoffs with Racertech dual rate springs...cost should be approx. 1500 and they are said to outperform the names you mentioned with single rate springs. We sold ours to a peep and that's exactly what he did.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you adjust the preload and dampening on the X shocks? I really don't mind the stock shocks too bad except for low speed riding, potholes and small bumps kinda bounce us around but they seem to perform well at higher speed when they hit harder. Just looking for a nice smooth ride at any speed I guess.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check out Racertech Spring Kit. Huge difference for a lot less money then new shocks. Lots of info about them on Commander Forum

Link: Commander - Shop by Model

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info LBR, you too Tim. Tim I see that spring kit for the Commander XT, 500 bucks yeah that's considerably cheaper, does it make that big of a difference in ride quality though?

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
The X shocks are selling for about 1K nowadays plus that 500 for RT springs, so the 1500 amount should be realistic for anyone.

The wife was chosen to become an Elka Ambassador and chose to buy them and sell her X shocks...these Elkas still don't have dual rate springs tho, but she's happy with them.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess it'll be damn near impossible to find a used set of gases off an X so i'll probably just go with the spring kit on mine for now. I couldn't even find a used set on ebay, and brand new they sell for more than the Kings, Elka's, or Walkers. I appreciate the info, thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the info LBR, you too Tim. Tim I see that spring kit for the Commander XT, 500 bucks yeah that's considerably cheaper, does it make that big of a difference in ride quality though?
Ya they are a lot better then stock. Lots of info on Commander forum. I read up on them for about a year before buying and never read anything negative or that anyone didn't like them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts