Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I was standing in my garage, surveying the exhaust I just installed, and I pulled the cover off of my air box. I had a bunch of sand on the "clean" side of my air box.... WTF!?! Everything was correctly fastened. There was not a ton of sand on the "dirty" side either...

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Ours never has had sand in the clean side .....was the clear drain tube on the pre filter side full of sand?? ...

I drilled a very small hole in the bottom of it .....large enough for sand to fall out, yet small enough so very little air is drawn in

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ours never has had sand in the clean side .....was the clear drain tube on the pre filter side full of sand?? ...

I drilled a very small hole in the bottom of it .....large enough for sand to fall out, yet small enough so very little air is drawn in

It wasn't full but I'm thinking about some mods myself.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
It wasn't full but I'm thinking about some mods myself.
I'm with ya there....I said the same thing ....it wasn't full ....but when it does fill up, wouldn't the sand have more of a chance to see its way into the clean side?..I answered yes to myself and chose to give it a way out ...thus the tiny hole ....Lance

·
Registered
83 Posts
After cleaning out over a cup of sand from the air box after my first trip and having some sand on the clean side, I started greasing all the rubber edges. I think sand gets in from the sides of the cover.

I am also gonna install a prefilter over the intake hole under the glove box.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After cleaning out over a cup of sand from the air box after my first trip and having some sand on the clean side, I started greasing all the rubber edges. I think sand gets in from the sides of the cover.

I am also gonna install a prefilter over the intake hole under the glove box.
I like the grease idea!

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I like the grease idea!
I do too for the sealing aspects ...not so much for getting sand stuck to it /cleanup/regrease /cleanup...could a super thin rubber weatherstrip work? Attach with adhesive cement? ...need to go check ours to see where your talking about ...hehe ...

·
Registered
116 Posts

I would plug that hole back up! With a hole in there it will suck air in there and only drop the sand back down when you shut the engine off ! The best thing is yes light grease and to also drain the cleanout after every ride

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I would plug that hole back up! With a hole in there it will suck air in there and only drop the sand back down when you shut the engine off ! The best thing is yes light grease and to also drain the cleanout after every ride
Thanx...I'll do just that.....didn't think enough air would be drawn thru it, but giving it more thought, am thinking your correct Diesel!....

·
Registered
83 Posts
The grease/cleanup/regrease is not so bad. :)
And you only have to do it till the Uni Filter comes out..
I bet the Uni will be a huge improvement.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Thanx...I'll do just that.....didn't think enough air would be drawn thru it, but giving it more thought, am thinking your correct Diesel!....
Maybe I could install a diode in that hole??........:rofl:......

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Had the same issue with a little dust. After inspecting carefully I could see the trail of dust where it seeped past the cover into the clean side. I grease the cover now and live with the PITA of cleanup.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And this same issue followed the RZR too....poor sealing airbox/filter assembly....
My friends RZR S Would completely pack up with sand to where it wouldn't run! Bad location. (Right in front of the driver side back tire)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am SO looking forward to the UNI.

They have been awesome on the Teryx. Get two, keep one clean and ready to oil, or even already oiled and in a large siplock bag for when you are ready to make the change. That way you can clean the dirty one after your ride once you get back home. I always check it when I check the oil before a ride, it takes a matter of a couple minutes to replace it (on the Teryx). ;) Gotta love clean air intakes. I am sure the commander will be even easier to make a quick change.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Excellent idea ....spare kept in a ziplock......I have heard nothing but good about uni .....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts