Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Commander 1000 that will run for about an hour with a fully charged battery. After I shut it off and restart the check engine light comes on and low battery message comes on the screen. Turn off and wont restart, battery is dead. I have disconnected the winch and aftermarket lights from the battery thinking something is draining it but still have same problem. Any ideas?

· Administrator
2,363 Posts
Check for a loose cable connection at the battery posts and at starter and main ground cable

If you have had the battery cables off of battery for any reason, check that all small wire connectors are back on the battery post along with the 2 main battery ones. It's easy to stuff a small ground wire out of the way while working in the battery area and forget to put it back on

Check the connector to the stator wires plug for good connection.

Check the wires out of the stator by putting a voltmeter on the battery, then wiggling them where they come out of the stator area

Use a volt meter with engine off... a little over 12+ volts?..... start engine up, run a couple minutes then record the volts at 2500 rpm.... 14+ volts?

Are you running a huge amount of lights that would drain the battery?... big audio amp?...

Could be a bad battery or bad stator....under warranty still? From your post, sounds like system is not charging ( doubtful) or battery may have a faulty cell in it ( very possible)

Take 2 aspirins and call us in the morning....lol

sent by a twin turboed RAZR

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I disconnected all acessories, maybe I took a ground wire off the battery post I wasnt supposed to? Thanks for the advice, I will do a test on the battery to see if its charging properly.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the battery is just over 12 when not running but drops bleow 10 volts when running so guess I will take it in to my crappy dealer for warranty

· Administrator
2,363 Posts
So the battery is just over 12 when not running but drops bleow 10 volts when running so guess I will take it in to my crappy dealer for warranty
Double check for that small ground wire on the battery negative post. Many a peep has left it off accidentally when installing their power steering kits.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So there is a small black wire seperate from the large black negative wire that screws to the battery?

· Administrator
2,363 Posts
So there is a small black wire seperate from the large black negative wire that screws to the battery?
Whoops!!!...No....I'm sorry for giving you the wrong info. I'm thinking of the additional negative wire on ours. It's one I added for the EPS....from the factory, ours only had the big negative cable

That negative cable is 2 cables coming together to the one battery connector. Its one of those that peeps forget to hook back up to the new EPS bracket I was thinking of also.....

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I ran my 3" cvt intake snorkel I had to drop down a metal finned box with a bunch of wires plugged into the back of it (I cant find the name of it). It was bolted to the right side of the steering wheel braceing which has a bunch of ground wires bolted to it. I simply wire tied it lower down on this bracket, Im wondering though if the metal box needs to be grounded to this bracket for the battery to charge? I will try a short piece of wire to ground it and see what happens.

· Administrator
2,363 Posts
When I ran my 3" cvt intake snorkel I had to drop down a metal finned box with a bunch of wires plugged into the back of it (I cant find the name of it). It was bolted to the right side of the steering wheel braceing which has a bunch of ground wires bolted to it. I simply wire tied it lower down on this bracket, Im wondering though if the metal box needs to be grounded to this bracket for the battery to charge? I will try a short piece of wire to ground it and see what happens.
I think your getting closer. That is the voltage regulator....

Is there a group of about 4 black wires into one eyelet terminal that is bolted at the same place as that heavy negative cable or in that area?.... if not, that was the one I mentioned that peeps forget... it gets stuffed behind other wires to keep out of the way while working in that area.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ahh... the light is on now! I bet the voltage regulator has to be grounded to work properly!

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Red wire had pulled out of the back of voltage regulator, thanks for the help LBR!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.