Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:timebomb: Has anyone had any problems with a battery shorting out?

I had to replace my battery yesterday because the METAL strap holding the battery in place touched the positive cable causing a short which effectively melted the battery. I called my dealer and he immediately warrantied the battery.

When I mentioned that I thought the battery strap should either be plastic or plastic coated, he agreed and said he noticed the same issue on the other 2 Commander he has sold. It seems if the battery shifts, the battery strap can ARC against the battery cables.

What do you all think ?

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
:timebomb: Has anyone had any problems with a battery shorting out?

I had to replace my battery yesterday because the METAL strap holding the battery in place touched the positive cable causing a short which effectively melted the battery. I called my dealer and he immediately warrantied the battery.

When I mentioned that I thought the battery strap should either be plastic or plastic coated, he agreed and said he noticed the same issue on the other 2 Commander he has sold. It seems if the battery shifts, the battery strap can ARC against the battery cables.

What do you all think ?
We will take a look and make sure we don't have an issue or see what we can do to fix it if it is a problem... now that I have decided to flop and roll a few times

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Battery issue?

Hey everyone! I went out for a ride tonight with a few friends. We stopped for a pop and a chat....I shut the commander off , but left the low beams on so that we could not only hear who was bullshitting but see them as well. :). We were stopped for less than 15 min....when I went to start it back up, it barely turned over and wouldn't start. Of course we had no cables...,we took my friends battery out and used 2 screwdrivers as cables and it did the trick. Is this normal? I didn't think it would drain that quick in a million years! Good ride, good story in the long run, but just want to see if it's normal.

Thanks. Derek

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Hey everyone! I went out for a ride tonight with a few friends. We stopped for a pop and a chat....I shut the commander off , but left the low beams on so that we could not only hear who was bullshitting but see them as well. :). We were stopped for less than 15 min....when I went to start it back up, it barely turned over and wouldn't start. Of course we had no cables...,we took my friends battery out and used 2 screwdrivers as cables and it did the trick. Is this normal? I didn't think it would drain that quick in a million years! Good ride, good story in the long run, but just want to see if it's normal.

Thanks. Derek
I would say that sounds reasonable .....the battery doesn't have much reserve power being a motorcycle style rather than an automotive ....the Commander has a pretty stout charging system compared to all others, just a wimpy battery .....

I suggest you fit another larger battery under the driver's seat and wire in with the stock battery .....this will give alot more reserve power for accessories like lights, stereo, winching....etc

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the reply. That makes sense. I am definitely going to take your advice and look into putting another battery in. Perfect use for that storage area! Is it as simple as just running the pos and neg cables from the 2nd battery to the original one?

Thanks again

Derek

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Thanks for the reply. That makes sense. I am definitely going to take your advice and look into putting another battery in. Perfect use for that storage area! Is it as simple as just running the pos and neg cables from the 2nd battery to the original one?

Thanks again

Derek
Pretty much, yes....be careful to shield the positive cable from any sharp metal edges ....and really no need to install an isolater either for what your needing it for......Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Registered
188 Posts
fix for battery short issue caused by battery strap

Hi folks, a realy simple fix to the issue of the battery shorting out due to the battery strap is to take an old bicycle tube and cut it to length and slide it over the battery strap, then reinstall the battery strap. not sure why Can Am does not have an insulator around the strap in the first place, it could not cost more than five cents.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Hi folks, a realy simple fix to the issue of the battery shorting out due to the battery strap is to take an old bicycle tube and cut it to length and slide it over the battery strap, then reinstall the battery strap. not sure why Can Am does not have an insulator around the strap in the first place, it could not cost more than five cents.
For sure!...won't take much to insulate it, will it?...

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
If spending that kind of money why not go with a Gel Cell?

On the aircraft the we always have to know what kind of battery is in there so you know what to do if there is a battery problem.

Lead acid- Good but holds less charge over time, both charge and life of battery (lower volts / amps). NO chance of Thermo Run-away.

Ni-Cad - Good, Holds same charge (volts / amps) until the end but has chance of Thermo Run-away (melt down, possible fire)

Gel Cell - About three times more $ but lasts 3 times longer (overall life of battery) and holds full charge until the end (volts / amps) both during charge and life of battery, NO Thermo Run-away, and sealed so no chance of spilling and you can mount any way you want. Well worth the extra money if you are going to keep it for a wile.

Don't know if this is the same as aircraft Gel Cells but here are some:
Gel Cell Batteries | RV and Marine Deep Cycle Gel-Cell Battery

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
If spending that kind of money why not go with a Gel Cell?

On the aircraft the we always have to know what kind of battery is in there so you know what to do if there is a battery problem.

Lead acid- Good but holds less charge over time, both charge and life of battery (lower volts / amps). NO chance of Thermo Run-away.

Ni-Cad - Good, Holds same charge (volts / amps) until the end but has chance of Thermo Run-away (melt down, possible fire)

Gel Cell - About three times more $ but lasts 3 times longer (overall life of battery) and holds full charge until the end (volts / amps) both during charge and life of battery, NO Thermo Run-away, and sealed so no chance of spilling and you can mount any way you want. Well worth the extra money if you are going to keep it for a wile.

Don't know if this is the same as aircraft Gel Cells but here are some:
Gel Cell Batteries | RV and Marine Deep Cycle Gel-Cell Battery
I've used Optima gel-cell batteries for years in many of my vehicles, they use to be great batteries, but the quality control seems to have taken a dive IMO and I've had to exchange 50% of them that I've purchased in the last 6-8 years....

The perks of this Odyssey battery is the Rhino guys have hammered them for years into the dunes and virtually all seem to hold up for the long term and their huge CCA, amp capacities, small size and light weight....I'm getting one to replace my original 2006 Rhino battery....very limited dealerships in our area, but I did find one.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts