Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to pass this on, I got a flat in my Stock X beadlock front tire after leaning on the edge (kind slid over a edge and took a wile to get out). Broke the seal went flat but held air on the way home but the next day went down again and got a real hole in it, I think because it was already low. So put a patch on the inside without a problem.

Ok now what I wanted to say, the Commander Shop Manual has a typo on the torque for the bolts on a X rim. It should be 10-12 lbs per inch (thanks Bruce) NOT what the manual says 27 lbs first round and 71 lbs the second round, found on page 316.

You may see a sealer on the bead when you take apart the rim, but you do not need to put any sealer on to get a good seal.

It is fairly easy to take apart the beadlock to put a patch inside the tire if needed, but tighten the bolts up by hand (no power tools unless set to lowest torque) and be very careful not to strip or break off bolts by gently getting the bolts snug. If you go to 10-12 lbs per inch or just tighten snug like you might a spark plug you will be fine. Just be sure to do the normal working your way from side to side (bolts) as you slowly snug up the beadlock. I found this out the hard way, breaking one bolt and almost striping another.

Check all you beadlock bolts, every bolt on every tire was loose on mine.

Incase anyone noticed I have a XT but I bought X rims / tires.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for the info man. I've been wondering if there was a torque spec for these, just never took the time to look for it. I've had a very slow leak on one of mine sence it was new. I've run all the bolts down a few times but it still leaks down after a month or so. Yea, all my bolts were loose also. Thanks again for the info.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Could the manual been referring to the 27 and 71 readings for the wheel lug nuts? ....Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Ody pointed out to me it was inch pounds not foot pounds, my bad.
Arg.! ...right on for the error, but it's strange that the manual only calls for about 6ft/lbs instead of the normal 10-12...so this is why everyone is finding the beadlock bolts need tightening ......factory is done at about half of what they should be .....bad factory specs .....Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts