Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a while since I've been on, but I have been busy making repairs of late between the Commander and the Renegade. With that said, I'm hoping an expert can tell me which belt to install that will last longer than the "stock" commander belt. I have less than 30 hrs on mine and it broke during the last race at just over 75mph :), so I need a new one and I'm looking for suggestions.

NOTE: This time I'm buying two of whatever due to an upcoming endurance race here and also due to the fact that every commander owner that races them here has broken belts frequently (one is on his 5th or 6th belt and he probably has less than 40 hrs on his).

·
Registered
49 Posts
What a set-up...sxsiowa has been a member over there for some-time...Any-way hows the gutting of the belly-up place going? or should we say lying going? oh thats right its a members site...what a joke...

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
What a set-up...sxsiowa has been a member over there for some-time...Any-way hows the gutting of the belly-up place going? or should we say lying going? oh thats right its a members site...what a joke...

Definately smelled the setup ....thus no response... and the request was for an expert to chime in...there are no experts here, therefore no answer ....had there been an answer, the peep answering would be chastised ..

Do you know of an expert there?.....would like to have an expert on the CT site to answer tech questions!! ....Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I must have missed something ... I was truly looking for any answers or suggestions and posted on the pirate forum too. I'm just a simple guy looking for some feedback on various belts.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I must have missed something ... I was truly looking for any answers or suggestions and posted on the pirate forum too. I'm just a simple guy looking for some feedback on various belts.
I personally don't think there is a belt yet that has the longevity of a factory belt ....this judgement comes from a few years on two high profile CanAm quad forums that have totally beat this subject up and by running my Rhintax for over 3 years....but a few peeps have had good luck with a couple of aftermart belts, but on lighter quads and not the heavier Commanders......

The things that will dramatically extend any belt's life are...keep it as cool as possible (am currently adding a blower on my inlet) ....use low range as much as you can ....dont back off then SLAM!!!!!! on the the throttle repeatedly (always ease back into it), and if you ever hear the belt squeal or get a burnt rubber smell anytime, figure out what you did in the last few seconds that caused it and try to avoid doing it again ...

Your driving experience will automatically increase the belt live as time progresses ...Lance

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
That EPS extreme duty is one that the quad guys have had really good luck with!....so you gonna get 2 of them....thru mail order?....good pricings?...Thanx, Lance

·
Registered
43 Posts
What quad guys??? Irun 3 quads and the x the eps extreme duty belt is lousy. 1st belt snaped at 48 mile on ltd. 2nd one delaminated on botton and rubber started flaking off the sides of cogs. The racers I know hate them. Best belt is BRP ask any quad guy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
What quad guys??? Irun 3 quads and the x the eps extreme duty belt is lousy. 1st belt snaped at 48 mile on ltd. 2nd one delaminated on botton and rubber started flaking off the sides of cogs. The racers I know hate them. Best belt is BRP ask any quad guy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Thought there were several that touted that belt on the two major CanAm quad forums ....or did I get it mixed up with a different belt they were having fairly good luck with?? ...I have to revisit then and search those threads out

But yes, the vast majority say factory BRP lasts the best on the quads, so until we get a killer Commander belt made, it's BRP all the way for our 2 rigs .....Lance

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
$140 is a good price ... ours are another $40-60 on top of that, which is why I was going the other route, but maybe I should just pay the price and stick with the BRP one. It lasted 30 hrs.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
$140 is a good price ... ours are another $40-60 on top of that, which is why I was going the other route, but maybe I should just pay the price and stick with the BRP one. It lasted 30 hrs.
You can have parker ship them to you...that's what we do up here in oregon...Barbara

·
Registered
34 Posts
Another belt

Blew my first belt with less than 100kms on it and second belt now blown at 1000kms after install of the dalton clutch kit when the first belt blew. Just ordered a severe duty epi belt hopefully this one lasts.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Blew my first belt with less than 100kms on it and second belt now blown at 1000kms after install of the dalton clutch kit when the first belt blew. Just ordered a severe duty epi belt hopefully this one lasts.
What kind of driving do you do?
I'm still on my Original belt about 1500 miles.. I do use low range when we do trail riding if it's anything below 30mph, with my Dalton kit and new throttle there is no problem going 45 in low...
Most of the belts (breaking) not saying all is because they don't use low when they should (Rhinorehab's blew for no reason out duning)

·
Registered
34 Posts
belt issue

I always use low gear in the tight trails and going through water holes and any mud riding but on the trails im a pretty aggressive rider

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm using the EPI and haven't broken the new belt yet, but am carrying a spare on all trips nows. I have noticed the EPI has cut my top end down quite a bit though. I'm also having some issues getting my 4x4 to engage in front, but I think it could be a front diff problem rather than a belt issue.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I'm using the EPI and haven't broken the new belt yet, but am carrying a spare on all trips nows. I have noticed the EPI has cut my top end down quite a bit though. I'm also having some issues getting my 4x4 to engage in front, but I think it could be a front diff problem rather than a belt issue.
Hey SxS ...glad to see ya again

The 4 x 4 issue is exactly as you said ...unrelated ...glad that belt has proved itself...it tells me one main thing tho, that you know how to keep your CVT temps cool ...probably from using low range correctly, right? .....

sent by TapaTalk ...please excuse brevity

1 - 20 of 25 Posts