Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how are you supposed to tow your commander if it doesn't run if you are out on the trail? This may seem like a silly question but the operators manual says "NOTICE Do not tow this vehicle — towing can seriously damage the vehicle's drive system."

I would think simply putting it in neutral would work, but am worried about damage based on what the manual says, but I don't see any other option. Where I ride there aren't any flat bed tow trucks!

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
My opinion here is to flat tow slowly the shortest distance for recovery with trailer. If you need to tow a really long distance, many miles, then I would take the time to pull CVT belt off first to break the engine/tranny connection. Remember the rear driveshaft is still turning the tranny gears ( unless you take the time to remove it too) but I would think the tranny gears should get splashed with enough oil to prevent harm.

I don't feel any harm can be had to the rear-end anytime towing......you can't harm junk...lol

sent by a twin turboed RAZR

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wouldn't hope you should ever have to tow a Commander, but in case you do, put it in Neutral and tow away. I've pulled many SxS's and quads and it won't hurt them at all to tow. The rear dif is running in oil as is the gear box. Not to bash, but we pulled a RZR900 for about 15 miles and it was fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Maximus I figured neutral would be fine. BRP must be covering their butts with that statement in the manual.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts