Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an LJ a little while back and I thought a build thread was in order. Its time to convert this LJ from stock to ROCK! This year the LJ will make it out to some Discount Tire Sponsored events and it will hit the trails quite a bit so if you recognize it please stop me and say hi.

Without too much talk here's what we're starting with.

Fully Stock 2004 LJ 4.0 Auto (Isn't it cute?..... Not for long! :)

-Travis

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
After browsing pages and pages of bumpers for the LJ I settled on a front and rear bumper from Hanson Off-road. I was looking for a mid length front bumper with a moderate sized stinger and winch mount. For the rear, I was looking for a rear bumper with an integrated hitch and heavy duty tire carrier. Hanson had exactly what I was looking for and.. its all made in the USA.

Installation: The directions were clear and all hardware was included. I installed these by myself but having an extra pair of hands would have made my job a little quicker. Some drilling was required for the rear tire carrier but for the weekend warrior installing these bumpers should be a breeze

Quality: Photos don't do these bumpers justice. These are some of the nicest bumpers I have seen. The quality of the welds, the fit and the finish are all top notch! These are made using 3/16 steel. They are powder coated with a semi gloss black and all mounting hardware is grade 8.

Some Notes for others considering these bumpers:
Front bumper: If you are temporarily mounting your stock Fog lights to the winch plate you will need to lengthen the fog light wiring. This wiring is not included.

Rear bumper: With the factory center brake light removed an aftermarket center rear brake light will need to be purchased and installed. I'll update this post when I have completed this step.

More information on Hanson Off-Road Products: Hanson Offroad - High quality off-road bumpers and rocker guards for your Jeep

On with the pics!
Front Before:

Front After:

Rear bumper before:

Rear Bumper After:

·
Registered
88 Posts
There are some guys we see at Coal Creek with rock crawlers and jeeps who make some of the coolest hidden winch bumpers and other stuff. I will talk to Rusty and see if we can remember who they are. Their stuff is the coolest I have seen and I see a lot of crawlers at Coal Creek especially.

**EDIT - Rusty knew it! ironpig is who they are.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I installed my rock sliders this past weekend. It took a little over an hour start to finish. The instructions were clear and all installation hardware was included. I really like how clean of a look these sliders have. One the Jeep is lifted it will be nice to have the step as well.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm working on the suspension now. I snapped this quick pic of the rear last night before it got dark. Fingers crossed, I should be done installing the suspension tonight! I can't tell you how impressed I have been with the parts and customer service at Full Traction. Full Traction has really done there homework here and the quality of their parts is outstanding. I am no pro mechanic so I have sent my fair share of questions to the guys at Full Traction. They have been very, very helpful. More pics to come...

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The lift is on! I finished it up late last night. It was too dark for photos so I'll snap a few today and post them up by tomorrow. Tomorrow the Jeep is scheduled for an alignment and the exhaust installation. Friday, if all goes as planned, the new shoes will be bolted up.

I've got some light on and off-road miles planned for the Jeep this weekend I can't wait to start breaking in the new suspension.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was hoping to get out and snap a bunch of flexed up photos this weekend so you could get a good look at the Full Traction lift but this is the only picture I managed to take. I was just south of Prescott, AZ this weekend at about 7000ft in elev. It dumped on us pretty hard. Friday night there was no snow, this is what it looked like yesterday morning.. :)

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
A few weeks ago I finished up the install on the Full Traction lift and Full Traction exhaust. I had the Jeep aligned and installed my wheels and tires. Today, I finally had a chance to snap a few good pics.

I had the Jeep out at TDS a few weeks ago and also took it out on the trail last weekend. I can't say enough great things about the suspension. Even without locker (yet) the Jeep has ten folds the off-road performance that is had when stock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts