Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else have a annoying rear brake squeak? Seems to only be below 15 mph or at least thats when I can hear it. Its kind of embarrassing rolling in to camp or parking area in a 15K machine that squeaks like a 72 pinto. Is there an easy fix or any ideas? Nothing is bent and its never been driven crazy hard.
I have hosed it out and blown it out. I only have 325 miles so I should'nt need brakes. Right? Just wondering if anyone else has this issue.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Anybody else have a annoying rear brake squeak? Seems to only be below 15 mph or at least thats when I can hear it. Its kind of embarrassing rolling in to camp or parking area in a 15K machine that squeaks like a 72 pinto. Is there an easy fix or any ideas? Nothing is bent and its never been driven crazy hard.
I have hosed it out and blown it out. I only have 325 miles so I should'nt need brakes. Right? Just wondering if anyone else has this issue.
We've not had this problem and not heard of many elsewhere with this complaint neither. You brakes should be fine unless you have a dragging caliper which would wear out the pads, but doubtful that is it. Make sure you absolutely locate the squeak being the brake for sure and not a CV joint. If it is a brake rotor/pad making the noise, maybe it got glazed.

I would pull the disc pads off, use brake cleaner on them a couple times to clean any oils off, then sand them lightly to cut the glaze. Use a piece of glass with a 220-320 grit or so sandpaper on it. You can then sand them knowing they sand flat. Clean again with brake cleaner and then do the same on the rotor with cleaner. You then may want to scuff it a bit with the same sandpaper lightly, then the brake cleaner when done. Reassemble and test.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have an annoying squeak coming from my left front caliper which I had since day one...while I have all the wheels off I will pull the caliper and give it a good cleaning like LBR suggested and hopefully that will solve the problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had it at the dealer for a CVT noise and while it was there they pulled the wheels, cleaned everything (like LBR said). Noise gone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an annoying squeak coming from my left front caliper which I had since day one...while I have all the wheels off I will pull the caliper and give it a good cleaning like LBR suggested and hopefully that will solve the problem.
I am having the same issue from the Left front. Did cleaning it solve it? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Whats the best way to clean the brakes? When you remove the tire do you remove the caliber as well or just spray down with brake cleaner?

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
The way I refurbish is pull off pads, spray Brakecleen on them and the calipers a few times to remove surface contanimemts. For the rotors, where pads contact I scuff lightly with 320 sandpaper, and spray clean with cleaner. For the pads, I lay a small piece of glass down with 320 on top and scuff pad untill fully cleaned and leveled, then spray with cleaner......reassemble.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts