Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I broke the Visco Lok this weekend, we were riding on a sandbar and I put it in 4 wheel drive and as soon as I gave it any gas something popped in the front. At first I thougt I broke another axle but the axle's still good. We jacked the front up and the passenger side will build pressure and stop spinning(couldn't spin after the visco started locking because the back tires were still on the ground), but the drivers side would just spin free. It doesn't make any noise, it just doesn't work. The front differential is about 1300 bucks and the visco by itself is about 500, so it looks like I'm about to try to find a used QE unless I can get it warrantied.

Kane S.

·
Administrator
2,339 Posts
If your diagnosis is correct, you should pressure your dealership heavily to warranty it first rather than assuming the cost to repair it yourself IMO....and if you start turning wrenches on it before the dealership reviews it, they may use that against your claim?

If the dealership does indeed warranty it, then try to sway them into installing a QE visco unit instead on a standard unit, then pay out of pocket difference in cost between the two ..I know, I know ....sounds like the perfect scenario and won't happen, but won't hurt to try!

Keep us informed, and I hope your wrong at this point in time and it is simply a cv joint or axle .....Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your diagnosis is correct, you should pressure your dealership heavily to warranty it first rather than assuming the cost to repair it yourself IMO....and if you start turning wrenches on it before the dealership reviews it, they may use that against your claim?

If the dealership does indeed warranty it, then try to sway them into installing a QE visco unit instead on a standard unit, then pay out of pocket difference in cost between the two ..I know, I know ....sounds like the perfect scenario and won't happen, but won't hurt to try!

Keep us informed, and I hope your wrong at this point in time and it is simply a cv joint or axle .....Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys
Yeah, I'm going to try and get them to warranty it before I do anything to it, because there's no way it should have broke when it did. So far they've been really good about covering things on it so hopefully they will this time too. I didn't think about having them put the QE in though, thanks for bringing that up.

Thanks,
Kane S.

·
Registered
14 Posts
At 160 hours my 1000 XT lost 4 wheel drive. I first noticed when the icon didn't show after toggling. No 4 wheel and no messages. I use it daily on the ranch, dealer is 2 weeks
out just to look at it. Any ideas as to cause / problem. Thanks. Raleigh

·
Registered
14 Posts
No. How would I do that? My mechanical knowledge and terminology is limited and I don't mod mess with the machine - a simple man who changes oil and filters. I'm not adverse to tearing into something however if I understand what I'm looking for. What am I looking for:) Thanks.

·
Administrator
2,339 Posts
Grab your owner's manual, locate and check the fuse for the front wheel drive would be step one IMO .....then check switch for operation if not the fuse ....key point here points to possibly electrical with no dash indicator light.

Sent by my twin-turbo Droid Razr

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks LBR, makes sense. I washed the interior before this showed up. Will start with simple and keep you advised. Thanks forum - I take more than I give.

·
Administrator
2,339 Posts
DUH, F7 slot, 5 amp fuse, blown to smithers. Thank you LBR - I neglected my mantra "keep it simple, stupid". Off and running.
Keep extra fuses handy as it may happen again and again...if it does, I would suspect high resistance in the servo motor from moisture, so you may not be out of the woods completely...time will tell and keep us updated.

Good Call Lance. When he said he heard a pop I assumed it was mechanical.
LOL....you would have said the same thing Ody. I wondered why you made that mechanical aspect call as it's not like you to miss a diagnosis like this. Now I know why....you diagnosed post #1 from last year....CapoliRanch's post this morning was #5....:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts