Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out riding yesterday and was heading down a 2 lane dirt road with some washouts. Was going 15 - 20 mph and not sure what happened but I bent 1 tie rod to 90 degrees on the drivers side and the other to 15 - 20 degrees. Axle broke off at the CV and pulled out on the drivers side.

I can not think for the life of me what happened. We had been driving for roughly 2 hours before this happened. We had stopped just before this happened and I glanced over everything there was nothing messed up when we stopped. Maybe 5 minutes later is when it decided to give.

We were messing around on a dirt / gravel road playing with a buddy in his rzr and I headed down the road in the picture. If you look at the picture you can see my tracks on the left side of the road where my machine is at.

When the tie rods bent I went into a doughnut and spun into the woods smacking a tree. (no damage from the tree was more of a medium tap to the front bumper) In the picture this was me getting turned back around and back on the road to see wth happened.

We picked the front end up and put an ammo can under the front a-arm and took the wheel off to see if we could straighten the drivers side tie rod enough to get it back to the truck. We got it bent back somewhat straight but when I got it all put back together tried making it to the truck I rolled about 10 feet and it snapped off.

Tie rod itself was bent at the threads on both sides. Not in the middle. It was a lot of fun being towed back to the truck by a rzr with a broken tie rod and axle. I was fighting the axle and tire flopping around for roughly 10 miles getting back to the truck.

Just as we got back to the truck Hobbes442 was pulling up to meet us to go riding. What a welcome, seeing one of your own being hauled in with broken axle and 2 bent Tie rods.

I was so mad I didn't get pictures of the carnage but the dealer did. Going to see if I can get them from him to post. In hind sight when you have anything like this happen make sure you get lots of pictures of the damage and surrounding for support in submitting a warranty claim.

The Other X (IndianaX) was behind me when this happened and his machine was fine. He was following me down the dirt road seen in the picture.

Later on Hobbes442 and IndianaX went back down this same road around the same speed and again with no issues.

Still not sure what would have caused this other than a manufactures defect and aligning of the planets. The dealer I got my X from was close so I went ahead and took it in to get the ball rolling on a warranty claim. I will find out Tuesday or Wednesday if it is going to be covered. They mentioned that getting a tie rod or CV covered on a claim was pretty tough and Can Am has been pretty tough on these particular parts. They wanted to make sure I was aware of this up front. I can not imagine what their argument there would be to not cover this. I was not in a hole or riding in something questionable. I was riding on a 2 lane dirt road.

Anyone else have problems getting this covered under warranty? I saw a post where JPO had submitted his for a claim but never heard if it was covered by Can AM. He was in a similar situation but int he sand.

When I was unloading it at the dealer, rolling in reverse, the passenger side wheel would lock up and drag. I have a feeling this was caused by the broken axle on the drivers side being bound up and not letting it roll. Had to roll it forward a little to allow it to unlock and roll it in reverse again. They were going to investigate further to make sure it was not something in the diff binding up.

As others have said you can not get a tie rod from Can Am. You can only get the Steering assembly. So on just the parts needed at a quick glance the Steering rack was $356 and the half shaft is $399. And if the warranty does not cover it I would have to shell out money for labor.

My X has less than 10 hours on it. I was right around 9 - 9.5 hours on my machine when this happened. These tie rods are pretty weak. So just a reminder to everyone with all the extras you are buying for your machine, you may want to pick up a set of tie rods to have with you just in case.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah there are a few aftermarket tie rods out there. I am going to get a set for sure to start carrying with me.

In talking with the service manager they are willing to go to bat for me with BRP. The owner was also willing to involved if need be. From what they saw and what I told them with my pictures of the road they could not see anything that should have caused this to happen. The dealer wanted to make sure and let me know up front that sometimes tie rods and cv's are really hard to get covered. They are going to talk with them first thing Tuesday and I should hear something late Tuesday or Wednesday. I will let everyone know what I find out.

I would not let them order the parts unless it is covered under warranty. I figure that if BRP is not going to stand behind their product, I know some aftermarket companies that will.

And thanks man, I could easily see if I would have been going any faster this could have been a very bad situation. I hope BRP sees this as a safety concern and not just some guy trashing their machine.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Were you running wheel spacers? I wouldn't put stronger tie rods on. You'll be replacing the steering rack. I like the spare tie rod idea myself.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Were you running wheel spacers? I wouldn't put stronger tie rods on. You'll be replacing the steering rack. I like the spare tie rod idea myself.
I am the 4th person I know of this same thing has happened too. One guy it happened to him in the sand, another prepping for a race on a pretty tame course and another in sort of a similar situation as mine on a sort of washed out road.

One of these involved breaking the spindle dropping the front and flipping him causing $9600 in damage to the machine that BRP would not cover.

This was my second trip out with my machine. I have < 10 hours on it. I was not riding crazy at all since I am still breaking it in.

The same day 2 other X's with me went over the same road without any issues.

Also from BRP if you bend one tie rod you replace the whole rack. They will not sell a tie rod for this machine. You have the option to get a tie rod end or the whole rack, or you can buy aftermarket.

Not at all saying this is something you have to do more of a proceed with caution. I am not the only one this has happened to and I really don't want to see anyone get hurt. Just informing everyone what happened to me. I will keep everyone posted on what BRP decides to do with the warranty claim.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for the "heads up" Rainemaker. This is what makes a great site, and thats information to the members. Sorry to hear of your breakdown,all the best on your warranty claim...Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
So here it is April - guess BRP left Rainemaker swinging in the wind...

Good info to know, I'm in the market for a SxS and Can Am is NOT on the A list any more!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't worry I won't, dickhead.
Dude, your going to miss out on a great overall machine if you pass just because of tie rods that you can upgrade for about $250. Besides that there are minor issues. Check on the XP, now they have issues with catching on fire and melting plastics besides the a-arms and axles being weak. My point is none of these machines are pefect out of the box.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Dude, your going to miss out on a great overall machine if you pass just because of tie rods that you can upgrade for about $250. Besides that there are minor issues. Check on the XP, now they have issues with catching on fire and melting plastics besides the a-arms and axles being weak. My point is none of these machines are pefect out of the box.
Dude let him go! Some people don't understand that these UTVs all have issues and that these things are not like your Honda or Toyota. They are put together by questionable folks outside the country and mistake happen. I owned a Rhino for 5 years and rode the crap out of it. The Rhino is the most well built of UTVs but it has had it share of issues: crank rod breaking, tie rods weak, front diff bolt backing out, etc... The Polaris is the worst built out there. After the 3 year of production the Kaw is pretty good now but it didn't start that way. The Can Am has had very few issues and the ones it has are minor. No engine issues, electrical issues are minor and the few problems are fixed with cheap aftermarket parts (which you will need to address yourself because if Can Am does fix them it will be on the 2012 model). Maybe if he buys a Polaris he will then understand just how well built a Can Am commander is!!!!! Yamaha, Kaw, and Polaris all have SORRY customer service and the dealer service varies with which dealer you get and who's after market warranty you purchase. By the way, Can Am definitely has a better warranty than Polaris.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry thought I responded here as well. Brp did warranty them and I got notice of a new part number coming out for the steering rack. I have not looked in mine to see if it is the new number or the old.

I am in the middle of taking it out now and will let everyone know which they put back in. To me it looks the same as the old.

By seeing a new part number I am speculating brp has or is addressing the issue. Could be wrong but just a hunch.

I am getting aftermarket tie rods though for my machine. And I have an extra steering rack just in case. Every machine is going to have issues, no matter what you buy. How the company handles it, is what I am glad to see. Brp is stepping up and addressing issues, I have no regrets with buying a first model year from brp. They have stood up , at least in my experience, and stood behind their product.

None of these machines are bullet proof, if you think they are you aren't driving it hard enough.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If someone is going to base their decision on one problem they are in for a trip. Buy what suits your needs not the fastest best thing out there. There will always be something faster and better since the utv war is really getting heated up. You will go broke trying to always have the biggest and best. Get what's right for you and get out and ride!

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Thanx for the response on BRP standing behind your machine Rainmaker.....great to hear....

And x2 on basing an extremely important decision on one person's apparent misfortune,,,,I believe the gentleman may had to vent for another reason and meant not to say what he did?? .....Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
As I and others have stated from the begining we were will to be testing guinea pigs from the start... I have no regrets and if I break some thing that is my fault or not my fault so be.....like rainmaker said " None of these machines are bullet proof, if you think they are you aren't driving it hard enough."

·
Registered
29 Posts
I put the Turnkey UTV tie rods on mine today. Don't want to get hurt and have a rough time getting out of somewhere.

If some one wants stock tie rods I have a pair I'll part with.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I put the Turnkey UTV tie rods on mine today. Don't want to get hurt and have a rough time getting out of somewhere.

If some one wants stock tie rods I have a pair I'll part with.
Good to know spud ....you probably won't have a problem selling those ends as a few peeps are bending them

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

1 - 20 of 28 Posts