Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was over at Ron Woods Racing yesterday checking out my new exhaust.
I had the opportunity to talk some shop at length with Ron about the Commander, specifically its engine set-up.
There is good news and bad news for us Commander owners and even a silver lining.
Im going to keep this short and simple because I dont want to start saying things that might come back to bite me in the future. This is also secondhand info, albeit from a very good source.

First the bad news. According to Can Am, the ECU will not allow any extra power generation in regards to intake and exhaust flow. Yes, i know alot of you are kneejerking right now, so be it. There are very minor gains to be had at this time with regard to fuel management electronics and high flow exhausts.
Motoworks just published their exhaust and specs on another forum a few days ago and they are very minimal exhaust improvements. They are being honest for my money because Can Am themselves have done some testing with regard to exhausts as well and they basically come up with the same figures. Almost no improvement at this time.
Let me say that it has nothing to do with the design or quality of the exhaust aftermarket players. Its all in the ECU!
The one area that will yeild more power at this time is Compression. Higher compression pistons will give a better burn and generate more power. Still theres the speed limiter which at this time can be fooled by larger tires. Thats about it for the bad news.

The good news. At this time there are four new Race ECU chips on the way for the Commander Race Teams. I guess these are proto types because of the low quantity figure. Can Am IS working on a replacement chip. I dont know if it will be for race teams only or if the rest of us can buy one <at our own risk> kind of thing. I dont really have any idea. We can only hope.

The future. Once this ECU "roadblock" is solved, this motor has major potential. Our Engines are way under tuned in this ride.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
As always, we need to weed thru how we get our info and how good the source is...

The word is that CanAm built some prototypes and before test to ride promotions, they detuned the ECM...had too much.........I believe it....I also believe what you are saying is true.....the aftermart gang is already working to piggyback the ECM with a plug and play that will leave most electronic functions to the ECM alone, but tweek the ones that are irritating to us the owners,,,,like more HP......one is speculated out next month even.....

IMO, BLR and I have one of the best testing and tuning trials going.....2 weeks ago, we did 2 and 4 wheel drive drag races.....balls out between the Commander and Rhino....the Rhino has been untouched since then...

The Commander received the race exaust and fueler since.....after dialing in the AFR, its drag race time again.......if the Commander squeeks just a tiny bit more out, and not what it should with the upgrade IMO, then the ECM will be my suspect as well.....Lance

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Barb
I talked with Ron about that specifically. His reply, no exact quote, was that simply adding fuel management override doesnt solve the problem. There needs to be a complete ECU replacement or some kind of ECU remap itself. Allowing for different air/fuel distribution does next to nothing in regard to power levels.
@Lance
Gawd, I only hope that someone can "CRACK" that ECU with the correct Hax so we can be on our way to more power. Im not looking for alot, but rising over 100hp would suit me just fine.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Those electronic gurus over on the CanAm quad forums know exactly what's what for these ECUs on the quad 800s.....they are applying all of that knowlegde to the Commander ECUs, then are looking for ways around the commander specific differences between the 2 ECUs....just time is all it'll take.........and $$$ from us, of course..lol....Lance

·
Registered
19 Posts
The ECMs the use quad guys are using completely take control of the engine away from the stock ECM. The stock ECM is only used for basic electrical purposes like lights, guages, etc. The new ECMs control limiters, fuel, timing, etc. Ron was one of the first guys modifing these machines but his company is way behind a lot of other Canam builders. IMO MrRPMCycle.com is the leader in Canam Rotax performance.

Also once you add exhausts, snorkels, high flow filters, or drive it off the show room floor, there are major HP gains to find just by adjusting the A/F mixture. Also make sure that whatever fuel controller you have, it is able to tune both cylinders seperately and able to remove fuel. These are very important. I have been an EFI tuner for the past few years with about 200 EFI tunes under my belt and about that many carb tunes.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I spoke with 800vtwin and they are making one for the Commander as well, they are hoping to release their product around January time frame. Monster-products.com (Used to be 800vtwin.com) is where you can go read about what they are working on. Replacement Fuel only ECM and several Tunable modules. I am going to dig more into this and gather more info, I know there is a ton of potential here. Going to be my next purchase after the clutch!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys are awesome. Hey, since we are talking power etc, that big expansion chamber on the intake side looks like 30 inches of intake between the throttle body and the intake plenum.... what in the heck is that all about?
Can we get rid of that puppy??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Stay tuned to my AMR Commander build...

·
Registered
126 Posts
With the Monster ecu, will it be able to control the instument cluster too?

·
Registered
126 Posts
No. The dash will be controlled by the factory ECM. The tune monster only controls engine management.
So do you run both at the same time? I like the performance aspect, but I also want the cluster to work.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts