Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK it's been just a year since we got to see what the Commander was going to actually look like..
Do you think there will be any changes to the 2012 lineup?
I'm thinking not...maybe sit back one year and see what Arctic Cat, & maybe Yamaha comes out with..

What's your thoughts or what have you heard?

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
OK it's been just a year since we got to see what the Commander was going to actually look like..
Do you think there will be any changes to the 2012 lineup?
I'm thinking not...maybe sit back one year and see what Arctic Cat, & maybe Yamaha comes out with..

What's your thoughts or what have you heard?
I've heard that there will be no changes which makes sense. it costs a lot to retool for changes. I am interested to see the new arctic cat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Steve, at the risk of sounding like a dope, I know what the EPS stands for but racking my brain can't figure QE??

·
Administrator
2,339 Posts
Steve, at the risk of sounding like a dope, I know what the EPS stands for but racking my brain can't figure QE??
Quick Engagement Dave.....kicks in quicker that the standard Visco-Lock....both determined by how much one front tire slips compared to the other front, then locks up.....

I think Steve has more exacting info pertaining than I to how much slippage comparisons of each front end goes thru until locking......Lance

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quick Engagement Dave.....kicks in quicker that the standard Visco-Lock....both determined by how much one front tire slips compared to the other front, then locks up.....

I think Steve has more exacting info pertaining than I to how much slippage comparisons of each front end goes thru until locking......Lance
Thank you for that Lance, I guess what threw me off was that Odyknuck stated it was already available and I never heard of that option. Thanx for clearing it up.

·
Administrator
2,339 Posts
Thank you for that Lance, I guess what threw me off was that Odyknuck stated it was already available and I never heard of that option. Thanx for clearing it up.
It wasn't an option.....the first guy that did this took one out of a newer quad equipped with the QE and put into a Commander ....that broke the barrier for upgrading...

Have seen many complaints of slow precision hill crawling and not having that front lock up quick enough....would be nice in 2012 as an option, if not standard equipment IMO

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Registered
24 Posts
It wasn't an option.....the first guy that did this took one out of a newer quad equipped with the QE and put into a Commander ....that broke the barrier for upgrading...

Have seen many complaints of slow precision hill crawling and not having that front lock up quick enough....would be nice in 2012 as an option, if not standard equipment IMO

Got it, I read about that in other discussions. I to am feeling the pain of slow lock up, last weekend going through a washed out culvert, only one wheel spinning up front, by the time it locked up I dug in till frame was dragging. After 3 attempts I had to hit it hard and bounce through it. With my Rhino that was not a factor, I miss that option of having control of the front diff.

·
Administrator
2,339 Posts
Got it, I read about that in other discussions. I to am feeling the pain of slow lock up, last weekend going through a washed out culvert, only one wheel spinning up front, by the time it locked up I dug in till frame was dragging. After 3 attempts I had to hit it hard and bounce through it. With my Rhino that was not a factor, I miss that option of having control of the front diff.
Fortunately our riding is in sand and is 2 wheel drive 95% of the time and when in 4x4 its just a helper for really steep dunes and needing lockup is no big deal ...

Agreed on the Rhino lockup ...you know all 4 are locked when the yellow button is in....I like that on my Rhintax ....

We're headed for trail riding this weekend with 15 or so sxss and by the end of it, will probably be feeling you pains of slow Frontend lockup also!...lol....Lance

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
The QE can be bought from your dealer for about $550.00. From what I have seen its not a big deal to Install. Remove the whole diff then replace the Visco section inside it.
I suspect the reason BRP went the route of the current Visco was because of the close ratio steering rack to make it easyer to steer. I also suspect that the standard Visco can be made QE by simply changing the Viscosity of the Hydraulic fluid (not the diff oil) inside it. It is a speculation and I could be wrong so do not take it verbatim. One thing I would caution when adding EPS and/or QE is to buy the heavy duty Steering Rack offered by Unisteer. The stock rack is pretty weak as mine already has a lot of gear lash with only 500 miles on it. Both devices add tremendous strain on the Rack.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Administrator
2,339 Posts
The Rhino steers much easier than the Commander given the same instance ...now when the Rhino is put into 3 wheel drive, it steers harder than in 2, which is a given .....but in 4 lock, it REALLY steers hard!..with that said,,,,,

I can't imagine the effort it would take steering the Commander all locked up like the Rhino in a slow crawling, full left to right turning thru rocks etc without PS ....

We wouldn't think of upgrading to QE before EPS and Steve was bang _on with what he said about the extra forces involved when locked all up on hard surface .....the stock steering won't handle it too long .......Lance

·
Registered
2 Posts
Odyknuck
What viscosity would you switch to? I just got my x and am not familiar with this 4wd system and eased into a mud hole and was stuck before you know it. Do I just need to smash it down to get spinning before I get into mud?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Administrator
2,339 Posts
Odyknuck
What viscosity would you switch to? I just got my x and am not familiar with this 4wd system and eased into a mud hole and was stuck before you know it. Do I just need to smash it down to get spinning before I get into mud?
Thanks
A different viscosity of the front end won't change the visco lock locking abilities ....the visco lock fluid is sealed within the visco unit itself and is a sealed unit I believe .....Lance

·
Premium Member
683 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm disappointed - They should have built a 4-seater !!!
I'm surprised also that there wasn't one also, that there wasn't a few options on the X like QE or EPS...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts