Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any issues with thier Commander frames?

When I picked my X (Serial # 270) up from the dealer back in November I noticed that the left front wheel had what I thought was a lot of Negative Camber. I mentioned it to my dealer and he said run it as is until the 10 hour service and he would check it out then.

Well I finally got my 10 hours on the machine and dropped it off for the service yesterday. When I went to pick it up, the dealer told me they were waiting for BRP to call back on the Camber issue as they (dealer) could not adjust it.

About an hour ago the dealer called me with the the BRP answer: The frame is off !!!!

Evidently some Commander frames were incorrectly manufactured and where the front suspension bolts to the frame, they could be off up to 3/4 of an inch which screws the suspension up. :timebomb:

BRP is offering me the following options:

1. $1000 in accessories and I live with the problem.

2. The dealer attempts to fix the problem AND BRP gives me some accessories.

3. BRP replaces the frame.

4. BRP gives me a new machine (This is NOT the option BRP wants me to take).

Before I make my decision, I thought I would solicit the forum for thoughts on the issue.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
My thoughts John would at the least be a new frame, but if BRP knew this was a problem then I'm thinking replacement....There could be so many things down the road that could come back and be a problem forever...anytime that you may get off camber, their could be a problem with putting stress/bind on certain parts/components...

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
:giggle:....John's said his camber is off, and Barbara talked about being off camber.....:giggle:....don't ya just love the English language, eh?.....Lance

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:giggle:....John's said his camber is off, and Barbara talked about being off camber.....:giggle:....don't ya just love the English language, eh?.....Lance
LOL !!!!!!

Started the process for the new machine, my dealer is working with a lawyer from BRP - hopefully we will hear in the next couple of days whether or not they (BRP) accept my counter-offer.

We have all spent a ton of money on these machines and they (BRP) are knowingly letting these machines be sold with defects rather than doing a recall. I love my X and just want a machine without problems, set up the way I like it.

I will keep everybody updated as the process continues.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
We have noticed a sizable drop in attendance since we're in, what some call, better weather of spring, summer and fall approaching....better weather term used loosely of course depending on location! ....Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did your commander ever make a strange clicking noise whenever you sat in it / physically move the machine? It comes from the front end and I'm wondering if the problem you mentioned has anything to do with the noise my commander is making.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did your commander ever make a strange clicking noise whenever you sat in it / physically move the machine? It comes from the front end and I'm wondering if the problem you mentioned has anything to do with the noise my commander is making.
ldyker - No my machine never made any noise when I sat in it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have noticed a sizable drop in attendance since we're in, what some call, better weather of spring, summer and fall approaching....better weather term used loosely of course depending on location! ....Lance

Lance - I hate to say this but I don't see the same dropoff on the other forums :(

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
over here, the only things that get posted are technical...we don't have the off topic threads like a lot of sites have and I guess most of us don't have problems with our machines...those are the threads that I see a lot of post count on also...We are just to laid back...:)....Barbara

·
Registered
149 Posts
I guess I better look at my X a little closer, mine is a earlier one as well. Picked it up in October. I've never noticed any frontend issues, but will take a closer look.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 1000 xt has alot of negative camber on the drivers side front wheel, bringing it in on tuesday will see what the dealer says.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
My 1000 xt has alot of negative camber on the drivers side front wheel, bringing it in on tuesday will see what the dealer says.
Please keep us updated with your findings..hopefully everything is ok

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's definately a serious issue. It's being discussed in great length on the pirate forums. Anyone who has camber issues needs to see their dealer.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Been so long since we've had ours, can't remember the front stance it had ....will check it out when it returns home .....

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have an early one as well, #377 checked it all out and the front end is perfect. This must be a random problem, I've seen people that have both earlier & later build #'s than mine that have the alignment/build issue. I was wondering how many factory plants they use to build these machines - maybe the problem lies in commanders being built at one certain factory.

·
Registered
22 Posts
just got word from my dealer about my neagative camber issue, my machine has 99 hrs and the tie rod ball joints are worn out and also my drivers side a arm bushings.
They are going to cover my tie rod ball joints under good faith but the a arm bushings they wont because its considered a wear part.

Brp says fixing the tie rod ball joints will fix my negative camber issue, I guess ill have to wait and see, parts come in next week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i am sorry my terms are a little off what is negitive camber i am thinking it is the angle
your front tires are to the chassy

1 - 20 of 41 Posts