Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all just purchased a used 2011 1000 commander a couple of weeks ago. I was driving it today and when I stopped I got this steady clicking noise under the seats or the engine area. This happens when it is in 2 wheel drive and when I put it in 4 wheel drive it stops, put it back in 2 wheel drive and it is clicking. I don't have to be moving and when I do it doesn't make a difference to the commander. It will shift in and out of 4 wheel drive but it is just clicking. It stops when the bike shuts down after I take the key out.

Got any ideas?

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Other than being puzzled about the 2-4-2 wheel drive changing the rythym, I would venture what your hearing in the one-way clutch components in the primary. Do this....

Leave it in 2 wheel, engine warm up, and idyling...should be 1200-1250 rpm and you hear a rapid clicking sound? if so, that's normal. Now raise your rpm as slowly as possible and as rpm raises, the clicking rhythm should start slowing down?.... thats normal also. Keep raising the rpm until the slowing clicking sound stops completely....your rpm is as high as it will go and has now engaged the secondary ( clutch system is hooked up now and if you raise rpm any more, the machine starts to move)

Was this it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
clicking

Other than being puzzled about the 2-4-2 wheel drive changing the rythym, I would venture what your hearing in the one-way clutch components in the primary. Do this....

Leave it in 2 wheel, engine warm up, and idyling...should be 1200-1250 rpm and you hear a rapid clicking sound? if so, that's normal. Now raise your rpm as slowly as possible and as rpm raises, the clicking rhythm should start slowing down?.... thats normal also. Keep raising the rpm until the slowing clicking sound stops completely....your rpm is as high as it will go and has now engaged the secondary ( clutch system is hooked up now and if you raise rpm any more, the machine starts to move)

Was this it?
No, I haven't tried this but I never had the clicking until today. I don't need the bike to be started just turn the key ahead and it will click, if I put it in 4 wheel drive it stops put it in 2 wheel drive it starts again. I can hear like a motor or something putting it in and out of 4 wheel drive. Could it be the 4WD switch gone bad?

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Thanx, that helps. Yes it could be the 2-4 wheel drive switch servo or switch. Pull the engine cover and both side covers for more light. The servo is on the transmission on these machines rather than on the front differential. You will see it on the tranny mainshaft area . It has wires going to it and the servo simply engages the drive mainshaft by a fork sliding an engagement gear. See if that is where the noise is.

Just before it started doing this, did you wash the machine and spray the dash switch?... if so, suspect it. Or did you ford high water and perhaps get water up and over the electrical servo ? If so, suspect it....hope this helps so far.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to take a look later today. But if I was to bet it is coming from that actuator that puts in and out of 4wd. I never got no water on the switch on the dash but I did go through some water yesterday and it was really cold out, but I didn't think that it was that much water but with the cold it might give an issue. If that is the case could it just be water in the wiring harness? Could it be the 4wd switch? Not sure what that does. It seems like to me whatever tells the actutor to stop it's not doing it. Is there a limit switch in the actuator?
I will give an update later today.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
As you know these machines are suppose to be watertight for fording creeks etc, but water can find its way in anywhere and create havoc. .probably in your case. When you get those covers off, you will see the sevo area and yes, follow that 2x4 wiring. Dry the connectors out, use dielectric grease and reconnect.

The servo may have drank a bit of water and be shorting/overriding that limiting device and cause the servo to keep hunting for 2 wheel drive even tho it is already in 2 WD. Moisture is sounding like the issue here and I would focus on the servo that may have moisture rather than the dash switch at this time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is the servo/actuator, can you take those apart and dry them out? The wiring looks good and dry but I am going to get the hair dryer and warm it up really good. I checked the 4wd switch and that is in specs as per shop manual.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I done the hair dryer thing and warm everything up good, checked the switch as per shop manual and that is good. I am thinking that there must be a limit switch in the actuator that is not working/wet,etc or the gear must be stripped out not letting the actuator go full way to connect the limit switch. I am going to take it off tomorrow night and see what I can find out. I plan on taking it apart to see what I can see.

Can you raise the vehicle up enough on the passenger side as not to drain out the oil? I don't want to change it lol.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Ive never had that servo apart, so not sure what is inside....most servos are pretty simple and straight forward tho, so am sure you can decipher what the problem is...the way the mechanism limits usually is done by a mechanical means rather than electrically. You can raise the machine substantially to work on...I wouldnt think you would get any oil in the airbox unless you tipped onto the side, but do check it before firing up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update.
Took the actuator apart and I don't see any kind of limit switch just a stop and a load of resistors, which probably shuts the motor off when a certain load gets on the motor by amperage. What happens when it gets in 2 wheel drive at the end of travel the motor continues to skip out on the gears so that is the clicking that I hear. One good thing it is not plastic parts.
So where does this lead me, I don't know if the actuator is gone or not. I contacted 2 dealers today and they both told me that they have never seen one gone or had to order one in.
Anyone with ideas?

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Do you think it was submerged and moisture is the problem? Maybe one electrical component was not 100% sealed and shorted out?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you think it was submerged and moisture is the problem? Maybe one electrical component was not 100% sealed and shorted out?
The most water was about 6 or 7 inches which had ice on it and I broke through, so I don't think there was that much water. I suppose it could be leaky but I doubt it as I had a hard time trying to break the seal and everything was full of grease and dry. It could have shorted out somewhere but not that I can see. There is a pin/shaft that goes through one of the gears that keeps it in place goes into the back of the housing of the actuator and there is another place on the front where it can go as well. It seems to me that it should fit in the hole on the back and on the front cover to keep it place solid, but I can push the pin/shaft back in flush with the gear into the hole on the back housing of the actuator leaving that the only place that keeps it in place. So I guess it is possible for the gear to move enough that the actuator motor might skip causing the clicking. I would love to see a new one inside to see what it is like. So for now until I can come with the terms of buying a new one at $250+tax..lol. I am going to install a switch in the 2WD line so when it starts to click I will turn it off.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Ive never heard of a problem with these servos. If you are up for a referral, go to the major Canam quad forum, join, and ask those guys. Those dudes back east really abuse them and am sure could help more. This setup your commander has is the same as the quads with 650 and 800 Rotaxes since 2006, and am sure they can help you with ideas.

http://www.can-amforum.com

http://www.can-amtalk.com/forums/

Hope this helps and chime back in when the problem gets fixed to educate all of us!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts