Can-Am Commander Forums banner

Clutch failure question. Need advice.

28K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  bubba 256 
I have been up a number of longer hills both slow and fast, rock and dirt with no problems with the stock clutch. But then again I only have about 12 hours on my Commander 1000 XT so that is not like long term use but I didn't have any power or slipping problems.

I did find one of the spark plug wires was not all the way clicked onto the spark plug when it came back from the dealer from the 10 hour service. So that could have been the start of the problem for you, not getting a good spark under a load and then having a clutch problem because of the lack of power.
If you want to check the spark plug caps and have not pulled off the panels around the engine you can watch AIRDAM, Adam's video to get the panel off and go from there. (thanks Adam)

I used this to get the pop rivets out without scratching anything.
Harbor Freight Tools

Here is the AIRDAM video for the clutch removal but works good to see how things come apart, and you only have to remove the upper panel on either driver or passenger side, they are both about the same.

Here is one hill I went up in LOW and power was great all the way up. I also hit some long rock hill climbs going slow and steep that day.

Thanks for all the help guys. I will use low gear in the future and climb at a slower rate of speed. My dealer did install a new can-am belt but I had to pay for the labor since the failure was my fault. The Commander is everything as advertised. An awesome machine if operated properly.
Flyingbryan, my hill was a baby compared to your hill. You must have nerves of steel.
Thanks Piper, as you know this thing will go up just about anything you aim it at, but I would not of had to back down from higher up. :unsure:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.