Can-Am Commander Forums banner

Clutching....which one & why

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious on what clutch everyone is running...there are a few complete clutch setups and a couple of clutch kits available now...

also tell why you went with that particular clutch...

Prolly by next year I will be ready for a clutch and Im sure other peeps are to and not sure which one to go with..Barbara

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Grizzlyman...give me a review of the QSC, that was the clutch that I was thinking of doing about 3 months ago but I haven't seen to many reviews of it yet....Thanks Barbara

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
I am still using the stock clutch with the original belt with no Issues. I have not smelt any burning rubber or slipping etc. Other than the clunk I get when starting off or going from foward to reverse its fine. If i ease into the throttle I do not even get the clunk. "Ain't broke so i ain't fixen it" Hows that for proper english? lol.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
14 Posts
This message may end up at the Space Station - I drive better than I compute.
I have 50 hours on my XT. Issues have been a loose hose clamp on descending radiator
hose (rt) leaking at 2 hours and an engine warning light on tach which turned out to be a sensor at 40 hours.
I've learned to start slowly, the click engages at about 1600 rpm. Sweet spot (lowest engine temp) is around 4200 regardless of high or low range. The power and handling for my purposes is extraordinary but I'm not qualified to speak on CVT or clutch. I really like the rig as is but then I don't race or remotely abuse the unit but it gets heavy daily ranch use.
Leaving for Summit Co. Colorado, on to Buena Vista then Durango for a week of XT fun.
I have a picture hauling dirt and fence posts, soon expect to have one showing airborne:)

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This message may end up at the Space Station - I drive better than I compute.
I have 50 hours on my XT. Issues have been a loose hose clamp on descending radiator
hose (rt) leaking at 2 hours and an engine warning light on tach which turned out to be a sensor at 40 hours.
I've learned to start slowly, the click engages at about 1600 rpm. Sweet spot (lowest engine temp) is around 4200 regardless of high or low range. The power and handling for my purposes is extraordinary but I'm not qualified to speak on CVT or clutch. I really like the rig as is but then I don't race or remotely abuse the unit but it gets heavy daily ranch use.
Leaving for Summit Co. Colorado, on to Buena Vista then Durango for a week of XT fun.
I have a picture hauling dirt and fence posts, soon expect to have one showing airborne:)
Lets see some pictures hauling the fence post...work & play at the same time

I had limp home mode one time and it's when I had warmed it up, then shut if off while we were getting ready....Started it back up went about 300yds and stomped on it and it went into limphome...apparently when it's cooled down and not up to temp it will put you in limphome mode...this time I said good ECU...lol

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have the EPI kit in mine, didn't notice huge improvements but it is definately better than it was stock. EPI was the only kit available at the time except for Airdams set-up, which at the time I wasn't wanting to spend that much $. I was looking to extend belt life and gain a little performance for cheap until the high dollar clutch kits had time to prove themselves. In the future I will definately get a clutch that engages at lower rpm, to prevent to the lurching when taking off/crawling - Probably be a STM. All in all I'm happy with the EPI, in fact I pulled a sand rail half way across the Oregon dunes to horsefal going over some of their big dunes with no problem, no slippage, burning - nothing...

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I have the EPI kit in mine, didn't notice huge improvements but it is definately better than it was stock. EPI was the only kit available at the time except for Airdams set-up, which at the time I wasn't wanting to spend that much $. I was looking to extend belt life and gain a little performance for cheap until the high dollar clutch kits had time to prove themselves. In the future I will definately get a clutch that engages at lower rpm, to prevent to the lurching when taking off/crawling - Probably be a STM. All in all I'm happy with the EPI, in fact I pulled a sand rail half way across the Oregon dunes to horsefal going over some of their big dunes with no problem, no slippage, burning - nothing...
I'm with you! I did some heavy towing at St. Anthony with stock clutch, also no problems. One of them was another "X" with STM primary and secondary. He shredded a belt out there but I think it's because he over heated it a few times getting stuck.We changed the belt out on the sand. the towing was because of broken heim joint and bent rack. All on the same ride, that sucks!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Adam and cv tech with just a clutch set up I can give a good friend of mine fits with his rzr 900! I take him off the line and he will catch me around 60 mph and very slowly pull ahead about 1/2 unit by top end speed both at 74 mph.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Adam and cv tech with just a clutch set up I can give a good friend of mine fits with his rzr 900! I take him off the line and he will catch me around 60 mph and very slowly pull ahead about 1/2 unit by top end speed both at 74 mph.
Welcome miller48 to the site...:)

·
Registered
92 Posts
clutch

Adam and CVTech/ STM setup is what I run. I setup my commander for performance in the desert and sand. Adams clutch setup is the single biggest improvement in performance to date. It easily outruns an XP and pulls a stock commander by 8 to 10 lengths.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Adams CV-Tech with STM secondary. Its working good. I can climb better than I used to be able to out in the big dunes. I'm still running the original belt.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Adams CV-Tech with STM secondary. Its working good. I can climb better than I used to be able to out in the big dunes. I'm still running the original belt.
I have the same Airdam setup but only put it in for a couple hours. I had a problem with the engine breaking releasing at very slow speeds, like 3 or 5 MPH and sent it back to have Adam look it over. He got it back to me months ago but...

One question is does yours ever do the same thing?

Another question is the Airdam setup was much louder than stock at idle and Adam said it would be, do you notice that much? I would hear it out of the CVT Air Inlet for the most part. I will be putting a blower in there soon so maybe that would take out some of the noise anyway.

I have been running the stock cluch for a year now and only the one time on the Airdam last March. I will get it in there again but the stuff I have been riding on I could not risk not having the engine breaking and no time to try it before each ride. Look forward to getting it back in there.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Same thing on the way we dune and are accustomed to regarding engine braking .....I can't imagine it free wheeling and liking it in either of our machines

sent by my possibly salvagable Droid I

·
Registered
29 Posts
My engine braking does release at about 5 mph. It is kind of tricky backing down China wall if I don't make it. It does make the belt squeal when it disengages and re-engages.

I did like the stock clutch better for backing down the big hills.

My Airdam setup is quieter than stock.

I figure you take the good with the bad. My Commander doesn't seem that much faster with the Airdam setup. It might be. I don't have a before and after comparison.

Brian - Did you notice a big boost in speed? I was expecting to go up Oldsmobile at least 10 mph faster. Its more like 3 - 5 mph faster.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I did tests before and after on a 1/4 mile. I did not get any change on times or top speed.

I did like the low speed gearing off the line.

I am kinda bumed that you have the same break release at low speeds because if I can't get it to work like the stock clutch I will sell it. I will give it another shot anyway.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts