Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 X with k&n 2" intake snork and dual muzzys. At idle my header pipes are glowing red. Ive tried every generic map for the pcv but it still glowed. Bought an auto tuner and 30min after install both o2 sensor failed. I have no exhaust leaks. Im not tryin to squeeze every ounce of power out of this thing. I just want to get it runnin in the safe zone so i dont burn it up. Is the glowing headers normal or is my afr whack. I would think one of the generic dj maps would put me in the safe zone. Help me out guys. Been almost 2months since i installed the exhaust and im scared to drive it. Ready to get back out there.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Did you install the exhaust or buy it with the Muzzy's already on?

sent by a twin turboed RAZR

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
If you have the screens in your mufflers then remove them and clean.... they may be plugged and won't let out the exhaust.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
I can't imagine how your pipes glow red just starting and letting it idle....even if your map was deathly lean at 1300 RPM, there shouldn't be enough engine heat to do what you described.....if they glow red during normal use, then either exhaust restriction or too lean of mixture would probably be the issue.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats why im wondering if it is normal for muzzys since it does it at idle. You can only see the front header doing it if shop light is off. But the rear cylinder you can see with light on.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Dang!!...wished you would have posted this sooner....a Muzzy representative has been camped with us all this weekend and left to go home this morning.

Contact Muzzy Racing directly with this....no reason for those pipes to be red while idling....Curt Dorn, Tim McClennon, Lorin Morrell, Rob Muzzy will figure it out for you!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had that happen once on a motorcycle and it turned out that while it was parked for a few months some mice made a nest inside the pipe. Had to take it off Nd clear it out. So now when my machines are sitting idle I the winter I put plugs in the pipes to keep the little creeps out of the pipes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Figures LBR. Im always a day late and a dollar short. Ive been talking to THEBOM for a few weeks. He says he can program me a dobeck 3.5 to where it would put me in the safe zone. But dang ive already dropped the $ on the pcv and the auto tuner. Ive got some $ back since ive sold the auto tuner. Im just starting to think that it isnt an afr problem. I would be pissed if i bought the dobeck and then figured out it wasnt the afr. Ive been reading so much stuff the past month about afr, programming, commanders, and etc im about to sell it and just ride my honda. Cant find any info on commander headers glowing. The info i find about the atvs isnt at idle.

Mcmantim i checked every section before installing

Here is what the auto tuner should when i first hooked it up. Then i went on a 30min ride and hooked back up to the computer and the afr was at 0.00. Sent back to dj and the said both sensors were bad

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums...B-AEAD-52A344E8A05A-5493-000006263D41F888.mp4

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Thanx for the learning lesson Matt.... that is interesting and definitely should put your mind to ease now. :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well i will use a generic map until thebom finishes his intake then ill get a custom tune for the intake and cams. Ive also read that plug checks are inaccurate on rotaxs. Is this true? If so why?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also lbr sounds like you know the muzzy crew pretty good. Does the guy in email know what he is talking about or is he just employed there?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well dam i dont know what to think now. Called muzzys and talked to a guy that says they shouldnt be red while idling.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If i choked the air off a lil and it was lean then the headers would stop glowing correct? If they keep glowin then it would be due to the thin header wall. Is that theroy correct?

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Well i will use a generic map until thebom finishes his intake then ill get a custom tune for the intake and cams. Ive also read that plug checks are inaccurate on rotaxs. Is this true? If so why?
I've read this on a Canam quad forum years ago and it may be because the two cylinders don't run at the same temperature....the approach some used was to remove the thermostat and experimented with different sized water restrictors to even F and R temps out....

It's very popular for them to run an O2 sensor in each pipe so to tune each cylinder separately.... the Tune Monster is a real popular choice.

Also lbr sounds like you know the muzzy crew pretty good. Does the guy in email know what he is talking about or is he just employed there?
Dave has been there for quite a while. I noticed he did not refer to glowing red at just idle, but more of an ambiguous answer ...makes me wonder if he's referring to upper rpm's?

Well dam i dont know what to think now. Called muzzys and talked to a guy that says they shouldnt be red while idling.
I will PM you later this evening.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
If i choked the air off a lil and it was lean then the headers would stop glowing correct? If they keep glowin then it would be due to the thin header wall. Is that theroy correct?
Missed this post.

Theory is that if an engine is TRUELY running too lean, then by choking down the inlet air it will actually make it run even hotter, thus increasing your heat problem.

If you run extremely lean, say 16 parts air to 1 part fuel, the engine will be way lean and run extremely hot and eventually will seize. At 8 parts air to 1 part fuel, engine will be way rich ( fat) and run much cooler. However, extreme lack of power, plug fouling, washing of cylinder walls and a myriad of other negative things occurring will also lead to a long term failure.

This is why when you deviate much away from a stock engine setup, you NEED to monitor the AFR for piece of mind. You can program your PC5 to run an optimum 13.2 across the board with your laptop on a NA engine, or even your autotune, but afterwards that gauge is your piece of mind in the real world.

Many peeps had problems with the auto tune. They need to have an initial map that is close enough for that tuner to autotune from. Could that have been your downfall, or was it plain defective?

Your plugs don't look too lean to me, but also don't seem to have many miles since being new either. The Muzzy tubes ARE very thin, so it could be possible for a slight glow.

Regardless, you are tweeking the engine even more in the future, so spring for an AFR, dial in your pc5, and never fret about that unknown when driving.....hell, even my wife has an AFR on her 1000 X, so shouldn't you??.. lol...:D:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well i ride alot water so leaving o2 sensors in is out of the question. Ny steering wheels has been under time and time again.

Plus widebands and dyno jet have left a bad taste in my mouth.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts