Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the measurements of the commander? I am looking specifically for the distance between the front axle and the front bumper, rear axle and the rear bumper, ground to the bed, ground to front bumper. I am seriously looking at the XT 1000 in magnesium silver. The problem is that I don't know if it will fit in my 5x8 trailer. I think it will fit if I remove the rear gate and back the unit in till the rear wheels hit the front of the trailer. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't have mine in front of me to get exact measurements right now, but you should be OK. I can take some measurements later and post them. I know from the front of my front bumper to the center of the rear wheels is close to 8'. So if you can let the front or back hang over the trailer edge you should have no problem with the 8' length. Mine fits in the back of my 8' long bed of my Ford F250. The wheels are about 3/4 onto the tail gate if I bring the front all the way up to the front. I didn't like that so I installed a ramp in the bed from Extreme Form Products that lets me lift the front wheels up to the top of the bed rails so that the rear tires now sit all the way into the bed of the truck. On the 5' wide, stock tires and rims are 58 1/2" wide, so that will be tight but will work. Should have about 3/4" to spare on each side. So be careful if you change tires or rims to make sure you stay within the 60" you have. Over all length is 118" as per specs. I know mine is a little longer because I have the Multi Mount wench which sticks out a couple inches futher.

Hope this helps, Thats the exact machine I have, color and all. Love it!! Get it and have some fun!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. This helps a bunch. I have been looking at this SxS for a while. I am finally getting some things paid off. 1 more payment on my truck and it is all mine. No more truck payments. I don't have it paid off yet and the extra money is already burning a hole in my pocket, assuming the wife lets me. lol thanks again.
Jim

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've got some better measurements now. What would probably work best in your situation would be to back it on the trailer like you said. From the bottom of the rear bumper to ground is 18". From rear bumper to the muffler is 16". 8" if you don't have the rear bumper which is an option on the XT. I have it on mine and wouldn't want to be without it. It will save the bottom rear cargo box. The muffler will hit about the same time as the rear tire if not a little before, so be careful not to crush the muffler area. From the muffler/back of rear tire it's 91" to the center of the front tire. That will put the front tire on the very rear of the trailer with the tire sticking out a little, but the main part of the tire will be on the trailer. From center of front to rear axle is 76".

Now I'll give you the other measurements you asked for. Front axle to front bumper 18". But it angles down from the bumper to the skid plate on the bottom so you would not be able to pull it in forwards without the front hitting sooner than the rear. Rear axle to rear bumper
29". If you have stock tire on, you should have 11 1/2" from ground to bottom of skid plates.

Hope this all make sense, if not ask me any questions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts