Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im going to be turning my commander into a 4 seater, and just don't want the extra weight.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FU2 built the cage for my rhino a couple years ago. Quality work. I'm not sure if i want to go with a full cage yet. If i do, i won't have any use for my can am two piece roof. Not sure about any of the bolt on cage extensions. I've only seen a couple. You know of any good cage extensions? You live in CA SandCyco?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Im going to be turning my commander into a 4 seater, and just don't want the extra weight.
If you go with a todds custom billet make sure they fixed the alignment problem mine doesn't fit right! And depending on what seat you go with make sure it sits low in the bed! My daughter is 5 feet 1" and with the seat I have her helmet is an inch below the top of the bar! Witch is too close for my liking.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you go with a todds custom billet make sure they fixed the alignment problem mine doesn't fit right! And depending on what seat you go with make sure it sits low in the bed! My daughter is 5 feet 1" and with the seat I have her helmet is an inch below the top of the bar! Witch is too close for my liking.
Hey diesel, you have any more pics of the cage and seat on your commander? I take it you're not happy with your cage?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never mind diesel. I've seen that extension before. Does that thing just hook to the cage? No supports in the rear to the bed?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey diesel, you have any more pics of the cage and seat on your commander? I take it you're not happy with your cage?
It's still at the shop but I might have it back today. I like the design of the cage and the welds are nice but it must of twisted when the welded it. It is still nice thought in this photo you can see the righthand side is lower than the left.(only a half inch but sill when you pay that much for it!)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, that sucks when you pay a ton of money and the quality isn't there. What are you gonna do about a roof for it? Does the cage have anywhere on the rear that attaches to the bed for support, or is it just attached to the cage?

·
Registered
116 Posts
For the roof I'm going to build it coming off the fins from the holtz roof and for the cage it only bolts at the front but I'm going to build a rear bumper that goes from the cage to the frame

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
would you say it's pretty strong, even though it only bolts to the cage? Is it easy to take off? I want to be able to take it on and off, so if I'm riding with no kids, i can make it a 2 seater again.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not too bad it's 8 bolts. I'm going to design my own cage this summer and going to use camlocks to hold it in and have the seat and cage as one so it will only take two guys 30 seconds to take it off

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very cool. I'm going to look into that extension. Thanks for all your info diesel.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am in Simi Valley, 2 hr drive from Jimbo. He is making mine a bolt-on. I think we are bolting through the stock cage at 6 locations, this thing should be solid. He started with the Twisted Stitch seat and was forming around it. From a side view, we are going to try to keep some of the same angles as the stock cage.

He or I will post pics as soon as we can. ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am in Simi Valley, 2 hr drive from Jimbo. He is making mine a bolt-on. I think we are bolting through the stock cage at 6 locations, this thing should be solid. He started with the Twisted Stitch seat and was forming around it. From a side view, we are going to try to keep some of the same angles as the stock cage.

He or I will post pics as soon as we can. ;)
Cool, i'd love to see that. So it will incorporate the stock cage?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts