Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Nothing is wrong with it, just hit it a little to fast and need to tweak the shocks a little bit. First time out only had 1 mile on it under a hour even. Ha we'll get better video this weekend.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
The Rotax CVT/clutching setup with engine compression is over-the-top.....when you let off of the pedal, that baby SLOWS down VERY fast....I would estimate that my Rotaxed Rhino has almost twice the engine compression braking power to slow up at a dune crest that the stock 660 had,,,,and the 660 was alot better than any RZR I've driven.....with that setting the stage.....

I don't air my Rhino out, but the times I have on purpose after the engine swap, I always lawn darted,,,,every time......since the Rotax has so much more power, I am reserved so as I start the jump, I have always backed off of the throttle at the last split second and always ends in the lawn dart effect.....

I think that after the front tires become airborne, I let off the throttle, therefore compression-braking the rear tires with the front tires in the air......talk about something that will flip you over!!!.....

Tony and Andy....if you were to go playing in your field on just one jump....find an MPH to consistantly hit the base at each time to catch some SAFE air-out time.....
1) catch air with the fronts and let off the throttle before the rears leave the ground
2) catch air with all 4 wheels then let off the throttle

Does it still want to lawn dart as much doing a #2 (pun intended...:rofl::rofl:...)........

This could be the reason so many owners are lawn-darting the Commander....and this could be the reason too many other UTV endo flips could be happening all over......hitting a jump a few MPH slower and staying @ WOT until the rear wheels leave the ground couldn't make a lawn-dart effect any worse, could it???........Lance

·
Registered
305 Posts
Nothing is wrong with it, just hit it a little to fast and need to tweak the shocks a little bit. First time out only had 1 mile on it under a hour even. Ha we'll get better video this weekend.
Agree with Tony. Its a feel thing. Out at Glamis I had the benefit of following in behind two razors and a rhino. When the driving got more serious and the SxS's started getting airborne, I had some good experience going before me. It wasnt long before I had the speed and timing down and a feel for what made a good jump or getting air. Good Luck Tony and keep the Vids commin.

Oh, LBR has it right as well. Letting off the throttle as you are clearing a jump is usually a big no-no on any ride. With the Commander as Lance described letting off the throttle gets you a fair amount of braking which can cause lots of problems not even related to jumping but certainly causing the "Lawn-Dart" effect for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts