Can-Am Commander Forums banner

Cooling

10K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  LBR 
#1 ·
I bought a 2012 commander 1000 x on friday afternoon. Saturday morning after putting two (2) hours on it the thermostat stuck closed and it over heated . talk about not happy. :furious:

#3 ·
When it was over heating i grabbed the t-stat housing and it was hot on the top side which goes to the fill neck and cylinder heads and the bottom side which goes to the radiator was super cold the left side of the rad was hot and the right was cold. so that told me its not circulating the water.

#4 ·
Good thinking ...I wanted your feedback first before mentioning under your circumstances of it being brand new out-of-the-box, plus happening on maiden voyage, that it could have been the dealer not purging 100% air from the coolant system.....this will cause steam pockets and can confuse a thermostat from opening up and also causing the upper most part of the heads to over-heat, since steam is much hotter than the water..in fact, I'm still leaning to that theory.....Lance

#10 ·
On each head at the coolant housings will be a screw....with the engine running, loosen each up a bit and let the air spurt out...when coolant runs, tighten back up...this eliminates steam pockets in the upper cylinder which contributes to several maladies

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.