Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have tried searching with no luck.

I just picked up my new commander and it has a crap load of mods to it. It was the owner of the dealerships personal demo.

Anyway it's a 2012 with 29.5 terminators on it. As well as a cvtech primary. (stock secondary not machined).

Anyway when I start the machine the engine light will come on the second after it starts and stay on for like a second then go out. Not sure why.

Also when I hit about 51-55 mph the engine light will come on. Temp is low, oil is good. And it just says check engine nothing else. Rpm is not at the limiter either.

And another question. With the cvtech what should my shift out be? Right now it seems to be around 6300-6500 and I can only get about 51-55 mph top speed out of the machine in H and 2wd and sport mode on.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Glad to be back in a can am.

Stiff

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Its possible that the check engine light at startup is for the split second after starting for oil pressure to build and trigger the sensor back off....if it continues to do what it has been, I would ignore it

As far as your other issues, the first thing that I would check is the key. If you are using a gray one, it limits speed to about 45 mph....this plus your taller terms could get you at the 50+ and no more. The black key is the unlimited color to use. All 3 colored keys can be programmed for all 3 different limiting speeds, so since its a used ride, you can't say for sure if keys are programmed properly....this gray key coding would limit your rpm and speed both....and you have both of those issues happening here.

Chime back in here and let's focus on key programming.... since the previous owner had first hand access to the key programming software (BUDDS), you could have a "" gimmick"" key and not know it... lol!

sent from my twin-turboed Razr

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replys..

yeah engine light always comes on at start up, I read somewhere that if you hold the start button down to long that this could happen, not sure if thats correct but it goes away so oh well.

as for the Keys I am using the black one 100% but thinking this was the owners personal demo so maybe being a demo unit they programmed this key to be lower performance, this makes sense. I might have to take it in and get everything re-programmed to see.

after about 100 km, I dont think the terminators are going to work where I ride, I actually love the tires but they are not the practical tire for how I ride (lots of climbing, higher speeds and rocks, not enough mud) so im going to sell them and for now just put the stock big horns on until I get other tires. Im going to check out the cvtech and see what I need to change for the stock tires but it almost seems that the clutching is for stock tires and not the mud tires so we will see if that helps at all.

now what do you think about the engine light coming on at higher speeds?? like 50+ it will come on and stay on but it just says "check engine" and nothing else...

thanks

Stiff

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
thanks for the replys..

yeah engine light always comes on at start up, I read somewhere that if you hold the start button down to long that this could happen, not sure if thats correct but it goes away so oh well.

as for the Keys I am using the black one 100% but thinking this was the owners personal demo so maybe being a demo unit they programmed this key to be lower performance, this makes sense. I might have to take it in and get everything re-programmed to see.

after about 100 km, I dont think the terminators are going to work where I ride, I actually love the tires but they are not the practical tire for how I ride (lots of climbing, higher speeds and rocks, not enough mud) so im going to sell them and for now just put the stock big horns on until I get other tires. Im going to check out the cvtech and see what I need to change for the stock tires but it almost seems that the clutching is for stock tires and not the mud tires so we will see if that helps at all.

now what do you think about the engine light coming on at higher speeds?? like 50+ it will come on and stay on but it just says "check engine" and nothing else...

thanks

Stiff
Maybe wait on clutch diagnosing until you are sure of full engine potential first...AKA that black colored key maybe programmed at grey key performance.... then once full engine power is acknowledged, see if that fixes all your rpm and clutch issues rather than blaming a wrongly set up clutch firstly?

Can you lean on the dude you bought it from and ask for some help on it by phone?... maybe a free hookup to the Budds software if he is within convenient driving distance?

sent from my twin-turboed Razr

1 - 5 of 5 Posts