Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have to apologize and forgive me for posting here... I don't own a can am but I hope you can help. The question is in regards to a Bristers (amercian sportworks) chuck wagon 390cc model cw413. I know I know... nothing of fine quality. But it gets around the farm and up and down the gravel road.
Reason I'm posting here is it seems everything I google search about cv tech clutches, you guys pop up. Seems this is the place to be if I had a question regarding the clutch so here I am. Plus I can't find a reputable forum that deals with this UTV other than a few ma and pa tractor forums.

With that out of the way, if you are still here I appreciate any help.

I'll do the best I can to describe what is going on considering it is not mine but my parents who I am trying to help figure out.
The wagon was bought new and has about 300hrs on it now. It is ran by a Honda gx390.
Recently, on cold mornings it revs up but does not engage very well... top speed is about 7mph until it starts to warm up and then seems to engage normally and will reach it's normal top speed. I took a look at it and everything seems/looks fine so we ordered a new belt ($90 feww....) but removing the old and comparing to new, there was no difference. I thought maybe the belt had stretched or was worn but like I said, there is barely a difference. Maybe a 1/16th inch narrow in belt width and length seems the same. So, maybe there was something I was not seeing. We installed the new belt and I called him the next day to check how things were going. Same problem. Takes about a mile of driving for it to start to work properly. He thinks something is sticking... I'm not familiar with the clutch enough to tell whether that is possible. It has a dust shield across the top of the clutches but some open areas on the under side. So they do see some dust and maybe a few mud puddle splashes. But all in all they stay pretty clean.

I have read somewhere that the factory weights can wear out, is that possible? Is there a way to measure how the belt is moving or how the clutch/belt relationship is?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Your primary may be hanging up. Pull the top cover off and watch the sheave motions as you rev it when warmed up...sounds like that's working OK. Then do the same when stone cold and try to see if primary or secondary is the culprit...watch and listen before it warms up and operates properly. I would then concentrate compressed air carefully at all angles when engine is idlying and blow out the primary. Clean your sheaves with brakecleaner and inspect. You may need to disassemble the primary if nothing listed above makes a difference. Look for flat wear spots on rollers/fingers. Sounds like you have a later model with the CV Tech clutches as the earlier ones had Comets I believe.

EDIT**** also completely blow out the secondary when you do the primary.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the Tip. I'll head down there tomorrow and do those things. He does have a later model, 2007 I think. Found that out through the serial number when looking for replacement belts. Comet belts were half that of the CV belt we bought. Thanks again. I'll post back after the weekend with results.

What part of Oregon?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roger that. I was born and raised in Tillamook. That's where the folks are at with the utv. Ive been in Beaverton for about 14 years now but try to make it out of this mess as much as I can to get down there. Thanks again for the help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts