Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
newbie here with a cvt question. I just bought a 2012 commander x and the belt started slipping after 10 miles (real bad, like no go). I removed the cvt cover to inspect and there was oil (maybe 2 oz). I cleaned every thing up and ran it without the cover(I know not the safest). No traces of oil anywhere. I did notice the smaller breather tube on the bottom rear of the cover has been cut and plugged with a bolt. Could this cause a negative pressure and suck oil past the crank or tranny seals. Or is it meant to be a drain? Any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to put it back together and smoke my new $160 [email protected][email protected]

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
I think you're on the right track in thinking the oil came past one of the 2 seals...couple of oz is way bad and needs to be fixed. I would be inclined to think opposite than your given scenerio tho. Instead of the cvt area creating a low pressure area to pull oil past a seal, I think the other way may be more the case. If tranny is way overfilled and can't vent to atmosphere, the heated oil will be pushed out past the seal into cvt area....same with engine and needs to vent crankcase pressure or oil will push out weakest sealing area, possibly that seal. If engine is way overfilled and ridden hard with no venting, that may be it. When you cleaned the oil off, you should have noticed if it was in the 20-40 wt or 90-140 wt consistency....a big difference between the 2. Five bucks to a hole in a donut says it's engine oil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check seal behind the secondary clutch. Been known to leak - had mine replaced a month ago

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. I figured out the line that was plugged is just a drain. I am going to replace both seals while I am in there. had a little scare as I tried to pull the inner primary using the 10mm and 14mm bolt trick. even with the air turned up to 145psi it would not come off and the 10mm bolt got stuck way in there because it mushroomed and bent a little. after lots of failed attempts to get it out I took a round curtain rod tube and was able to tap it over the bolt and pull it out. PHEW! ordered the proper puller and won't try that again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts