Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were just getting ready to load the Commander in the trailer for our trip to Sand Mountain...we leave Monday Morning at 4am...Lance jumped in it to start it and nothing just a free wheeling sound, bendix won't kick in... looks like we will need to make a pit stop on the way and replace it.... We will see if they will warranty it I have 10 days left on the warranty

Has anyone else had theirs die yet or have to replace starter?

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Take Lance's when he's not looking!:)
LOL. Got one ordered should be in Roseville Wed and Johnnycat will bring it up Thursday

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
That's insane, $450 for a starter!. It must be a Commander thing, my t-stat sprung a leak just before our spring break trip - luckily I got the part in time, the day before our trip. Unfortunately we won't be making it up there this weekend but don't let our abscence spoil it for everyone(LOL). Hope everything works out for you guys.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wasn't the starter apparently it's a sprag that broke.....the Commander has been just sitting looking good...lol
At Sand Mountain

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
"sprag" ? Do you mean spring?
The starter bolts into the case from the outside ...its held in with 2 bolts... the sprag and intermediate starter gear is accessed thru the magneto cover .....and the mag needs a special puller for removal ...not something to do in the sand

When I tried starting it, the starter motor free wheels and doesn't engage the intermediate gear ...hooked

sent by TapaTalk ...please excuse brevity

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What did you find on the starter problem?
It was not the starter itself it is a oneway spag in the magneto (I think) that went bad, when we would go to start it it sounded like a starter with a bad bendix...Lance may explain it better when he gets on here...:)

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I Googled "sprag" and it is the one way bearing in the starter that engauges the bendix gear.
Hey Ody!....BLR has heard me say the magneto area so much, she got thinking it was the magneto itself.....I'm pretty sure you know all of this from the service manual pictures, but this description may help others later down the road....and am very sure that I know why the sprag assembly went bad and no-one else's should have this problem really...

The magneto cover has to be pulled and set aside....then a specialty puller screws onto the magneto shaft with a doweled button to insert in the shaft end to prevent the puller's bolt from doing damage....when you tighten the puller's bolt, it presses against the button and pops the magneto rotor off, then set it all aside.....

That is the one-way sprag directly behind the magneto rotor with the flywheel ....the sprag's job allows gripping when rotated one way, but free-wheels if turned the other way...as the starter torque is applied, the sprag grabs hold and cranks the engine thru a series of gears....as soon as the engine spins faster than the sprag assembly is cranking, it instantly free-wheels from then on....this is the equivalent to an automotive style starter's bendix...

When your looking at the "stuff" behind the magneto cover from rear to front, you will see the starter motor teeth, then a reduction gear, then an intermediate gear, then the big flywheel/sprag unit directly on the crankshaft centerline....3 bolts and off comes the problem child sprag....

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Ody!....BLR has heard me say the magneto area so much, she got thinking it was the magneto itself.....I'm pretty sure you know all of this from the service manual pictures, but this description may help others later down the road....and am very sure that I know why the sprag assembly went bad and no-one else's should have this problem really...

The magneto cover has to be pulled and set aside....then a specialty puller screws onto the magneto shaft with a doweled button to insert in the shaft end to prevent the puller's bolt from doing damage....when you tighten the puller's bolt, it presses against the button and pops the magneto rotor off, then set it all aside.....

That is the one-way sprag directly behind the magneto rotor with the flywheel ....the sprag's job allows gripping when rotated one way, but free-wheels if turned the other way...as the starter torque is applied, the sprag grabs hold and cranks the engine thru a series of gears....as soon as the engine spins faster than the sprag assembly is cranking, it instantly free-wheels from then on....this is the equivalent to an automotive style starter's bendix...

When your looking at the "stuff" behind the magneto cover from rear to front, you will see the starter motor teeth, then a reduction gear, then an intermediate gear, then the big flywheel/sprag unit directly on the crankshaft centerline....3 bolts and off comes the problem child sprag....
See ODY I was close...lol what the hell do you expect from me....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl::rofl:

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Well Barb, I expected from you what I got lol. :unsure: I gooled the word because i was not sure what it was. I was aware of the one way bearing in the starter as that is how its done in most of them now. Just did not know the term for it. I have always calle dthem the Bendix assembly. So we both have been educated today and thats a good thing.:giggle:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts