Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Desert Toyz Sappington Racing Commander 1000 build starts today. Only 19 days till the Best In The Desert series, Parker 250. Like Smokey and the Bandit said, I got a long ways to go and a short time to get there!:running: I will post am and pm pics each day as my build progresses. I will be doing all the design and fabrication and my crew will assist with disassembly and assembly. My team will be racing the Best In The Desert Series, Baja 500 and Baja 1000 and will be on display at all the Lucas Oil Off Road races at the Maxxis Tires semi. I also still have my old race UTV for sale, own a piece of UTV race history for $16500.00 race ready.
Thank you to my current sponsors for their continued support; Maxxis tires, UTV Off Road Magazine, OMF Wheels, Elka Suspension, Yoshimura, Triple X Industries, PCI Radios, Lucas Oil, Web Cam and Can-Am. I am still looking for a title sponsor :unsure:
Day 1 am pic Crew ready to start

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Day 1 pm pics

We have lots of brand new stock parts for sale, just about everything that has been removed is for sale. Disassemble is not too bad, the pop rivets are a bit of a hassle. Ca-Am sure did a great job designing the Commander.

·
The Outlaw Ignore Amos
197 Posts
Man....that didnt take long...19 days is going to fly by! Congrats!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Desert Toyz Racing Commander build day 2 am pic

Christmas elfs must of come in the shop last night. I woke up and the front plastics were removed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Desert Toyz Racing Commander Build day 2 pm pics

Finished the disassembly at 10 pm. The frame goes to The Stripping Shop for sand blasting at 7 am. I will have it back at noon and the fabrication fun begins.

·
The Outlaw Ignore Amos
197 Posts
Yeah sure is stripped...thanks so much for keeping us in the loop and allowing us to follow!
Jeeezzz....that was fast!!!!! I'm planning up coming up today Corey...touch base with ya later...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Gawd Cory,
If you just add a little strip music, I might be tempted to throw some money your way kekek. That thing is gonna be X rated. I can already tell. :devil:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Desert Toyz Racing Commander build day 3

Wow The Stripping Shop has the fastest strippers in the west:showoff: I dropped the frame off at 7am and it was ready at 10am. Not much progerss today. Went to Advanced Metals to get chromemoly tubing and finish a few customer projects. I will be back hard at it late tonight after the family goes to sleep. Headed out to do some Christmas shopping with the family. I will post am pic to show my late night progress. Any one want to join me after 11:30pm tonight to keep me company? :giggle: PS Check out the Ford web site to see me racing in Baja 1000 in the Ford Eco Boost Truck, look under Tourture Test.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Desert Toyz Racing Commander build day 5

It has been just about a year since I built a racing UTV, so I thought I should build a 10ft swing set for my kids as a warm up project. :) As for the Commander I have been welding all the places on the frame that the robots are not programed to weld. This frame is plenty strong, but for desert racing I like to fully weld the stock frames. Merry Christmas

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Desert Toyz Racing Commander build day 7

Paging doctor hack-n-slash. This morning I have been cutting, grinding and preping the frame. Its getting lighter!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Desert Toyz Racing Commander Build day 8

Finished welding the stock frame. Started adding plate to box in the stock formed pieces. Added matieral to the front lower a-arm mounts for strength.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Desert Toyz Racing Commander build day 10

Decided on my seat position, 4" lower. Located the lower side tubes, 4" wider per side. Decided to do a little more cutting and change out the dash crossover tube to crome-moly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Desert Toyz Racing Commander build day 9-10

Pulled an all nighter! Made some good progress. Got a little crazy with the sawzall again. :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Cory,
Are you a builder or a racer? All the boxing is one thing, but man that cage is really over the top. Does the cage height sit lower too? (overall height)
4 inches lower in the seating? How do you see over the dash?

Keep the pics and info flowing. Im interested to know what you will do with the motor. I see its half way apart too.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts