Can-Am Commander Forums banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts
Discussion starter · #47 · (Edited)
Desert Toyz Racing Commander build day 17

Another "worlds first" for Cory Sappington and Desert Toyz Racing Team. We are the first to build and race the new Can-Am Commander 1000. In only 16 days, Sappington transformed his Commander 1000 into a full desert racing UTV. Tracking his build on several web sites with pictures each day. After countless hours and many “all nighters" the team headed to Parker AZ to race the Best In The Desert series, Parker 250 race held January 8th. The team finally finished the Commander at 3:30 am on Friday Jan 7th in the desert at Parker. With only 2 hours of sleep, no test time and no chance to drive the Commander, The team arrived at the start line running on pure adrelin. There were 16 UTV lined up to take the green flag. Sappington's Commander launched off the line in 3rd and caught the 2nd place UTV in the first 1/8 mile. Within 7 miles they were on the bumper of the 1st place UTV. The Commander motored by them and now had fresh air to breath and no dust. By mile 30, the first pit, Sappington had a 1 minute lead on the field. Then at mile 33 the worst case scenario. This section was a graded gravel road, with rolling hills and sweeping turns. Sappington said “we came up on a blind tight right turn, as I set the Commander up to slide out and use the burm to make the corner, I saw 2 dirt bike riders down on the ground in my line. I knew I would have to crash to save the riders. I steered left and hammered the brake. I remember plowing into a mound of dirt just in front of the 2 riders. I ended up going end over end 3 times with a twist, and landing on my wheels facing the 2 riders. I had flipped right over the top the 2 rider. I thought I had killed the riders! I thanked God when I saw the riders stand up, and run from the edge of the track. This was the scarcest situation I had ever experienced in my 20+ years of desert racing! Thank you to all the racers and fans for your support." Desert Toyz Racing is already hard at work repairing their Commander and will be racing the SCORE International San Felipe 250 in Baja Mexico on March 11th thru 13th. Thank you to my sponsors; Maxxis Tires, Elka Shocks, Triple X Seats, OMF Wheels, Dragon Fire Racing, Racers Edge Graficis, Desert Toyz Fabrication, UTV Off Raod Magazine and BRP. These companies are the best in the industry. They provide the highest quality parts and service. My team and I are proud to represent them.

Discussion starter · #53 · (Edited)
Desert Toyz Racing Commander rebuild day 1

Here are some stats on my new race Desert Toyz Race Commander 1000;
Dry weight, no spare tire, stock suspension, Elka shocks, OMF Beadlock Wheels, Maxxis 26" Bighorn tires, Dragon Fire Exhaust, 16 gallon fuel cell.
1360lbs. With spare, wet and race ready 1500lbs. Top speed 73mph. 200ft of 1.5" 4130 Chrome-moly tubing used.
I am now taking orders to build the Desert Toyz Racing Commander. The pricing starts at $4000 for a do it yourself kit and jumps up to $20.000 for a full turn key Desert Toyz Race Commander. This is BITD, SCORE and SNORE approved. Other options are available. Place your order now for the fastest racing UTV on the planet. the "Desert Toyz Dragon 1000" built from the Can-Am Commander 1000.
Started removing bent and broken parts today. I found nothing bent on the frame or roll cage, just cosmetic damage. I will keep posting the rebuild pics. Thank you for all your support!

Glad to see you're alright Cory. I just looked at this thread today and thought, wow, what a fast build. Then I saw you crashed... I hate when that happens. Sorry about your luck at the race but happy to see you and the dirt bikers are OK.

Sucks to hear what happened, but I am happy to hear that you were not injured. The machine can be fixed and I am sure it will be :)

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.