Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have the base model Commander 100 and i have a flat spot in the belt and i am looking to get a new one. What is the best belt to replace this one with. I am still running the stock clutch incase that makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
So i have the base model Commander 100 and i have a flat spot in the belt and i am looking to get a new one. What is the best belt to replace this one with. I am still running the stock clutch incase that makes a difference.
BRP part number 715000302. This belt is a pinch wider than stock and also thicker. I just bought two of them after exploding my stock belt at the dunes on Saturday.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So i was looking up the part # and i found this is a heavier duty. It is made by EPI and the part # is 1142-0100. What do you think of this belt.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
So i was looking up the part # and i found this is a heavier duty. It is made by EPI and the part # is 1142-0100. What do you think of this belt.
I think I've heard good things. I didn't know it was out yet. How much is it? I just bought an EPI clutch kit too but haven't put it in yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go to parkeryamaha.com and it is part # 1142-0100. The price is 79.00. It says it compatible with the can am part # you posted. How much did you give for the EPI clutch and whats the advantages of it over otc.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Go to parkeryamaha.com and it is part # 1142-0100. The price is 79.00. It says it compatible with the can am part # you posted. How much did you give for the EPI clutch and whats the advantages of it over otc.
$79!?! I paid $176 a piece for the BRP belts I bought this weekend! The clutch kit was $279. It has different spring and weights. It should reduce belt slippage and reduce the time it takes to get to top speed. Hopefully I'll get to put it on this week and I'll throw up some pics.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just ordered two of them this morning. I will let you know what i find out. Do you know what the dimensions of a stock belt is and i will do some measuring when they come in.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I paid $176 a piece for the BRP belts I bought this weekend!
Jason, I get my belts from Parker Yamaha also for much better price point.... also have a couple of good used belts that I can bring into my business for anyone who needs one in an emergency for the weekend ....

Do you know what the dimensions of a stock belt is
You need to spec them out with a micrometer at the cord layer, not the bottom or top of the belt "V"....acceptable specs are listed in the tech manuals.....Lance

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Lance have you run the EPI belt
I can answer that one...we only run the OEM's...I'm still on my 1st belt and over 1000 miles...
I will put it to test in a couple of weeks when we ride with about 10 RZR's in the mountains...LOL

and Rhinorehab doesn't drive any different then I do..we ride the same dunes...so I'm surprised that his did explode...Jason I would definitely be asking them to cover it under warranty...

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Lance have you run the EPI belt
As BLR stated for the Commander, it's on the original belt and seems to be doing well.....at least until the Big-Bang theory hits us also....:giggle:

I've run only the OEM/BRP belt in my Rhintax 800 as well....there never had been any belt that would survive the Rotax near as good as the OEM since the birthing of the 800.....but now with recent rumors of after-mart belts holding up very well for their price, make all of us want to experiment with one of each brand just to be 100% positive......keep us in the know, Chris!.....Lance

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lance i will let you know how it does when it comes in. I tore it apart last night and is there a tricke to spreading the pulley on the transmission so that i can get the ropes out of the pulley. This thing exploded and tore the ropes and they are now stuck inside the pulley. The rubber portion of the belt is in abou 1 inch pieces and i only have about 550 miles on this thing and i spend most of my time on the gravel roads since i live in the bootheel of missouri.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Lance i will let you know how it does when it comes in. I tore it apart last night and is there a tricke to spreading the pulley on the transmission so that i can get the ropes out of the pulley. This thing exploded and tore the ropes and they are now stuck inside the pulley. The rubber portion of the belt is in abou 1 inch pieces and i only have about 550 miles on this thing and i spend most of my time on the gravel roads since i live in the bootheel of missouri.
That's what my belt looked like! You have to thread a long bolt into the secondary clutch. This pushes the pulley halves apart. You'll notice one of the holes near the center of the clutch is threaded.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
That's what my belt looked like! You have to thread a long bolt into the secondary clutch. This pushes the pulley halves apart. You'll notice one of the holes near the center of the clutch is threaded.
Spot on info here mudrat .....single bolt moves the outer moveable sheave half outwards for easy belt changes .....thanx Jason....Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Stock belt here. I don't know if a different size belt, even by a little is going to change the way the clutch works. There was a lot of talk about belts from BRP having a different size and it having problems with the stock and after market clutches. I think BRP is putting out the same size belt as stock but when everyone was talking about it, it sounded like it could cause a number of other problems if the belt is different is size.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Stock belt here. I don't know if a different size belt, even by a little is going to change the way the clutch works. There was a lot of talk about belts from BRP having a different size and it having problems with the stock and after market clutches. I think BRP is putting out the same size belt as stock but when everyone was talking about it, it sounded like it could cause a number of other problems if the belt is different is size.
Personally I dought a small difference in belt size is going to make enough noticeable difference. After all there is a specified range for belt wear before it should be replaced. If the after market belt is a little wider it will wear eventually into the stock size anyways. I think people are reading way more into it than needs to be. I have not looked closly at the stock clutchs however most CVTs can be modified to accept wider belts by changing the sheeve spacers.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Personally I dought a small difference in belt size is going to make enough noticeable difference. After all there is a specified range for belt wear before it should be replaced. If the after market belt is a little wider it will wear eventually into the stock size anyways. I think people are reading way more into it than needs to be. I have not looked closly at the stock clutchs however most CVTs can be modified to accept wider belts by changing the sheeve spacers.
I have to echo Steve here ....after working on my Rhintax clutch and understanding how it functions, there is some tolerance for new to worn belt widths....some previous CVT reports on other Commander forums got blown out of proportion .....Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was wondering when you blew your belt did it destroy the side cover. I'm fighting with bombardier cause I blew my 1000x belt on warranty at 366 km and had to pay and now I blew it again at 590 km and they say it was my fault the way I 'm driving it and it destroyed my belt and cover and they want me to pay again.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I was wondering when you blew your belt did it destroy the side cover. I'm fighting with bombardier cause I blew my 1000x belt on warranty at 366 km and had to pay and now I blew it again at 590 km and they say it was my fault the way I 'm driving it and it destroyed my belt and cover and they want me to pay again.
I would still confront them about it....not knowing your riding style tho here's suggestions:

Always use low range whenever possible.....if your going to traverse trails less than 20-25 MPH, use low all day long....ignore the thought that your working the engine too much, your not, your saving belts....

Keep close watch on the CVT filter...it takes 2 minutes to clean and making sure it doesn't get plugged with debris like sand or leaves....your CVT needs a huge volume of airflow at higher RPM to keep the clutches and belt as cool as possible, and this is the only place it breaths from.....slide the driver's side cowl cover backwards and lift off.....Lance

1 - 20 of 41 Posts