Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a spare Odessey battery so I decided to mount it under the seat and linked to the main battery. Should help when I need to use the winch.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Under that seat is a perfect spot for an extra battery for sure ....do make sure you do some extra supporting for it too, cause I think it's rated for only 10 lbs weight....Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Registered
49 Posts
under seat battery

When I mounted mine I cut some aircraft structural foam to fit under the plastic box. I put 2 layers of fiberglass on the foam and then epoxy bonded it to the steel floor. I made sure that my battery also rested on the tubular structure in front of the opening to the rear. I epoxy bonded some aluminum flat to the bottom of the plastic box and ran my tie down bolts through the aluminum.

I used a battery separator that favored the stock battery for charging and wired it so that I could use both batteries together if necessary. Also works to start the unit if the main battery is down.

Added a fuse block and ground and wired my winch and all accessories to the second battery.

So far works good.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
When I mounted mine I cut some aircraft structural foam to fit under the plastic box. I put 2 layers of fiberglass on the foam and then epoxy bonded it to the steel floor. I made sure that my battery also rested on the tubular structure in front of the opening to the rear. I epoxy bonded some aluminum flat to the bottom of the plastic box and ran my tie down bolts through the aluminum.

I used a battery separator that favored the stock battery for charging and wired it so that I could use both batteries together if necessary. Also works to start the unit if the main battery is down.

Added a fuse block and ground and wired my winch and all accessories to the second battery.

So far works good.
Awesome job of reinforcement it sounds like! ..too bad I couldn't help ya smell the fumes ...lol ...you didn't miss a thing with your wiring either

I hate to bust CanAm and realize that battery technology is making batteries smaller, lighter and stronger,,,, BUT THAT IS STILL A WIMPY LOOKING BATTERY IN MY BOOK!.....a glorified lawn tractor battery for that high output stator system, but add a winch, amped stereo and a mess of driving lights?? ...not enough reserve capacity IMO .....Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ole Mississippi ******* here mounted a new batt under the seat that fit the existing plastic indention, and ran the cables to the existing batt. Secured with a batt strap from a new plastic box. No side to side movement and the strap takes care of the front to back and rollovers. Tested it today. Ha! Am I asking for trouble with no isolator?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts