Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am trying to fix a problem with selecting between 2 and 4 wheel drive. When engine is running I lost the ability to switch between 2 and 4 wheel drive. I can get to switch back and forth if I shut the engine off, wait 5 to 8 seconds, switch to either drive mode, then turn the key back on. I can hear the actuator moving and the icon will appear or disappear on the display. Then the selected mode will work as normal. This selection can only be made while the machine is going thru the diagnostic mode immediately during power up. If you wait until after the self testing mode is over it won't work. I've tested fuses, checked connectors that I could find and checked ground connections that I could find. I've put the multifunction gauge into troubleshooting mode and it displays no active faults. This is driving me crazy. Anyone have any thoughts before I finally break down and bring it to the dealer? The machine is a 2012 Commander XT 1000. ( P.S. The winch and 4x4 switch fuse is good and the winch works fine) Please help!!!

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
I've not ever had nor heard of this problem you described. If the actuator is only getting power at bootup/diagnostics time, but not when in regular running mode, it could be getting 12V power from a diagnostics source when the electronics bootup, but after it goes thru its diagnostics, not getting any 12V power thru the regular means from the normal 12V and negative sources. You submerge into deep water that may cover that solenoid?.... Also make sure both battery cables are tight on the battery...electrical gremlins plague these machines when a cable loosens up part way.

If nothing here helps, join the other Commander forum listed here.... Can-Am Commander Forum ...for more peeps to help out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks LBR for the response. I too feel it's not getting power after diagnostics mode. Could you tell me where that solenoid is located? Also I did remove batt. cables and clean them and retightened connections. I have a new batt. in my outlander 650 that has the same P/N. I was thinking of swapping batteries to see if that works.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Your 4x4 actuator is on the transmission and engages the front thru shaft that goes thru the engine crankcase to the frontend....you'll see it. Again, if you ford water that can cover the bottom part of engine and that actuator, I would check all electricals down there.... those connections to dry and apply dielectric grease, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I checked connectors and checked wires down there like you suggested and couldn't find anything wrong. When I checked voltage at the actuator connector it's showing battery voltage. The problem seems to be computer related because the actuator works immediately upon boot up as long as you toggle the selector switch back and forth. When you stop toggling the switch for more than say five to eight seconds and then try toggling it again nothing happens. The meter still shows voltage at the actuator connector when this occurs. It's like the computer is removing ground or something. I didn't think the computer was even involved in this circuit. Any more ideas would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Join the other Commander site I gave the link to...more activity there and better chance for another peep that has been there, done that with your issue themselves. That site is in the same network as this one also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts