Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the engine on an 800 create enough back pressure to prevent the motor from shutting off if the exhaust is submerged underwater

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Yes.....what you don't want to do when fording water with Exaust submerged is let the rpms drop back too low, such as an idle ....the engine will most probably die and may not start....use low range .....don't go too deep to draw water into the engine or CVT intakes...

Sent by my twin-turbo Droid Razr

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so you Can't let the engine idle while the exhaust is submerged underwater.
that sucks

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
ok so you Can't let the engine idle while the exhaust is submerged underwater.
that sucks
I personally wouldn't try idleing around in a stream with that Exaust underwater ....I would pick a line and ford thru with a little bit of authority

Sent by my twin-turbo Droid Razr

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the only reason i ask is if i get stuck in mud/water and need to hook the winch to something would it be ok to let it idle while i hooked it up

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't like doing it but I have on occasion let the engine idle when the exhaust was submerged on my Outlander while I helped the guy in front of me get moving again...the Commander I'd imagine is the same but if it stalls you only have a second or two to start the engine again before it gets swamped.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just spoke with my dealer and he told me that the motor DID make enough back pressure. I hope i never have to test it but its a good thing to know

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know that if you keep giving it gas (like the guy did in the video)it will be ok but i wanna know if you let the motor idle will it be ok

1 - 11 of 11 Posts