Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Colorado riding last week at 9000 to 12500 ft. When I first started in the parking lot the check engine light came on. It was running fine, we rode all weekend and the light would go on and off with no pattern to it. When we got home I took it in and the dealership said there was no problems, the only code was a high temp code. It was pretty cool riding all weekend and my gauge never showed hot. Has anyone else experienced this at higher elevation.
The warning never came on at home after the trip, Im guessing it was something to do with the elevation.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Our ck engine lite comes on and says heat. When the dealer cks history on computer he said it never overheated. This is on a '11 . he said a reflash maybe with newer programming

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was in Colorado riding last week at 9000 to 12500 ft. When I first started in the parking lot the check engine light came on. It was running fine, we rode all weekend and the light would go on and off with no pattern to it. When we got home I took it in and the dealership said there was no problems, the only code was a high temp code. It was pretty cool riding all weekend and my gauge never showed hot. Has anyone else experienced this at higher elevation.
The warning never came on at home after the trip, Im guessing it was something to do with the elevation.
My check engine light came on at 9,400 feet, Taylor Park, Co after riding all over higher mountains to mid 12,000'. Speedo was going nuts 0 to 60 mph and
the engine was running very erratic. Was real close to the campsite, so loaded
it up and when I got it home it seemed to run normal?? Its at the dealer and hopefully it will show an error code. One thing, when it was cold it did not start as easy as it does at 7,000'

Mark
as easy as it

·
Registered
92 Posts
My check engine light came on at 9,400 feet, Taylor Park, Co after riding all over higher mountains to mid 12,000'. Speedo was going nuts 0 to 60 mph and
the engine was running very erratic. Was real close to the campsite, so loaded
it up and when I got it home it seemed to run normal?? Its at the dealer and hopefully it will show an error code. One thing, when it was cold it did not start as easy as it does at 7,000'

Mark
as easy as it
12000' feet your commander was running rich as hell and not enough air. The close loop system I have on my commander does adjust for attitude at W0T but it would still be rich at idle and low end even at that attitude.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The EFI should be able to compensate for altitude, without efi you have to rejet. It could be an issue with ecm programming. The dealer even told me they have a few glitches with 2012 programming.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The EFI should be able to compensate for altitude, without efi you have to rejet. It could be an issue with ecm programming. The dealer even told me they have a few glitches with 2012 programming.
No utv has sensors like ur car to adjust for that level of change. Muzzy close loop system Wot but not low end

·
Registered
4 Posts
12000' feet your commander was running rich as hell and not enough air. The close loop system I have on my commander does adjust for attitude at W0T but it would still be rich at idle and low end even at that attitude.
I had it at 12K feet in Silverton, Co and drove it for about 250 miles at Taylor with no problem. It happened at the end of my trip so I don't know if it would
have continued to be a problem. It was not something I wanted to deal with
out in the boony's. I don't think it was a fuel injection problem, although like I said it didn't seem to start as good as it normally does..

Mark

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Muzzy close loop system Wot but not low end
Spot on CG ...still need to adjust the other 5 adjustments, excluding #3, with the Digitune Pro for various conditions ...have you watched your AFR while under WOT? Need your honest feedback.....after I close looped ours, we only rode slower trails and roads in Shasta area and not the dunes ...never did get into WOT once to monitor the AFR, then dropped the Commander off to Muzzy's and they proceeded to remove the digituner ....

Bottom line ...your word is golden to the community regarding this question, because we never had the WOT opportunity ....thanx!!

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Registered
92 Posts
Spot on CG ...still need to adjust the other 5 adjustments, excluding #3, with the Digitune Pro for various conditions ...have you watched your AFR while under WOT? Need your honest feedback.....after I close looped ours, we only rode slower trails and roads in Shasta area and not the dunes ...never did get into WOT once to monitor the AFR, then dropped the Commander off to Muzzy's and they proceeded to remove the digituner ....

Bottom line ...your word is golden to the community regarding this question, because we never had the WOT opportunity ....thanx!!

AT WOT my commander stays right at 13.2-13.5 and it constantly is adjusting within that range. I ran about 2 miles at 75 mphs and watch it do just that at 3500 ft. Then I ran for about 3 miles at 1000 feet and the car was more responsive at on the bottom end but the top end still stayed with 13.2 to 13.5 on the AFR..

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
In the last 11 months I have only had the limp home light once and that was right after start and never came back.

1000 XT 2011 yellow

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
In the last 11 months I have only had the limp home light once and that was right after start and never came back.

1000 XT 2011 yellow
I had that happen once and what it was is I had warmed it up and the rest of our group wasn't ready so I shut it down for about 20mins. then everyone was ready to go so I stated it up left the camp site got out about 1000ft and stomped on it to catch up with the rest and I went into limp home mode...shut it down let it reset and it was fine.
what happened is it cooled down enough that when I stomped on it wasn't up to operating temperature...oil

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
AT WOT my commander stays right at 13.2-13.5 and it constantly is adjusting within that range. I ran about 2 miles at 75 mphs and watch it do just that at 3500 ft. Then I ran for about 3 miles at 1000 feet and the car was more responsive at on the bottom end but the top end still stayed with 13.2 to 13.5 on the AFR..
Thanx so much ...this is a great testimonial IMO ...

·
Registered
46 Posts
This just happened to me on Saturday. Temps about 52 F and after riding for about an hour the check engine message and red motor came on twice in about 10 minutes and then about 20 miles later it came on 3 times quickly but then never came on again. Oil level was right on but a little dirty. 1300 mile 1 year old.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Brought mine in yesterday and they said the computer registered a spike in amperage. They traced it down to my connection for the fan thermo couple over ride. I used the blue
pinch connector to attach it to the fan power wire. They opened it up and the wires were cut almost in half. They replaced it with a different type of connector.
My ?? to them was why didn't it spike all summer long while I was using the Hayden switch, but only started to happen when I was running with the normal system. They said it was the lack of wire
in the connector now. So maybe that blue pinch connector was cutting wire all summer long until now when it was to thin and spiked amps. Maybe the supplied connector was the wrong size.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts