Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys new to the forum and also new to the Can-am world.
I bought a used 2012 Commander 1000xt about a week ago and while looking over the bike real good I’m not sure about the engine oil level. I checked it as the manual told me to on a level surface and cold motor. When I first pull the dip stick it reads about half way between the min-max levels. After I re-dip it the level goes up to the A of the word MAX. Why am I getting inconsistent oil level readings? How should I be checking the level?

·
Administrator
2,344 Posts
When level as possible, pull stick and wipe, ignoring the reading. Restick, lightly seat the threads, and trust that reading....I do it twice, especially with clean oil because it's hard to distinguish the first time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks LBR and I agree with you on that. So what I did was siphon the oil out until I got the level to the max line and now my display tells me low oil when I crank the bike. Should I be checking on a cold motor or a warm motor?

·
Administrator
2,344 Posts
I prefer to run an engine, either cold or hot, then shut off to test. If cold, wait a couple minutes to check level for oil to drain down....if warm, maybe 30 seconds or so.

If you check after setting an extent time, oil can drain out of oil filter area effectively overfilling the crankcase giving an over fill check on stick.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I let it sit overnight, went out this morning cranked it and let it run for two minutes then turned it off and waited about 30-45 seconds ignored the first reading re-dipped the stick and checked. It was half way in between the minimum and maximum mark so I added a little oil to get it close to the max mark. Thought I was satisfied so I went and took it for maybe a five minute ride came back let it sit for five minutes checked again twice and the level was like 2" above the max mark. So I let it sit for 45 minutes checked again and it was in the same high spot. Cranked the bike for like 2 minutes and sit for 30 seconds and it was still high.

I just don't understand the inconsistent readings. I'm about to just drain it all and put the recommended back in and be done with it.

·
Administrator
2,344 Posts
No....if your start it stone cold and run for 2 minutes, let the oil drain down for a long period of time because the cold oil will take longer to get to bottom of engine for a good reading. If nice and hot, shut down and give a minute because hot oil drains fast to crankcase for better reading.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It shouldn't be this hard lol. Just put it in laymens terms for me. My bike has been sitting in roughly 70 degree weather for about 3 hours now so...
I'm going to go crank the bike for 3 minutes let it sit for 5 minutes ignor the first reading and go off of the second reading right?

·
Administrator
2,344 Posts
Just check it a couple times now. Look at both side of the stick and average it out.

When you mention the low oil light, do you mean the yellow engine light?.. It usually will stay on couple of seconds after the engine starts...don't worry about that unless the light just plain won't go out at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do get that light also but I was talking about the display would say low oil but it would just flash it once then go on to say what key is in etc.

Just went out and checked it and on second dip it was just above the X of max.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.