Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK today was my first good run with my commander and what a run it was. Kinda pissed i forgot my camera but my buddy had his and took a few pic's i hope he post's them somewhere so i can add them here, We had a blast first major mud hole sank up to the seats in mud had to winch both out. Took it for a speed run:running: on the main road to see what it would do and with two of us in it i got it up to 118 Km/hr, impressive. that is 73 mph, myself and no windshield guaranteed 75+ mph next time I'll bring my video camera for sure.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have had mine to 65 mph, that is fast enough for me. I like to cruise on hard surface about 55 mph, dirt farm roads 30-40. I think about tire failure, tie rods, etc.

A friend drove it to 75mph, with a passenger.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These things are crazy fast for a sxs. The only time I think about all the failure is after they happen, then my thought is holly :poop: what the hell just happened....lol. That kind of stuff doesn't bother me but you do have to know what your ride can do and what kind of mechanical shape it's in before doing it. I bought the 1000 c.c. to do just this if it did 85 MPH I would want to go 95 MPH thats the way I am. I have my jeep chipped and it does 147 MPH and I do take it there often, now i'm adding a supercharger ( not fast enough ) but there is a time and place for everything, just have to make sure your ride can handle it. I will be looking to pump up the commander to get more out of it just my way of getting a high, push everything to the limit then go for more, It isn't the speed that kills it's the sudden stop at the end that kills. OK, thats enough talk about speed now I need a speed fix.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
These things are crazy fast for a sxs. The only time I think about all the failure is after they happen, then my thought is holly :poop: what the hell just happened....lol. That kind of stuff doesn't bother me but you do have to know what your ride can do and what kind of mechanical shape it's in before doing it. I bought the 1000 c.c. to do just this if it did 85 MPH I would want to go 95 MPH thats the way I am. I have my jeep chipped and it does 147 MPH and I do take it there often, now i'm adding a supercharger ( not fast enough ) but there is a time and place for everything, just have to make sure your ride can handle it. I will be looking to pump up the commander to get more out of it just my way of getting a high, push everything to the limit then go for more, It isn't the speed that kills it's the sudden stop at the end that kills. OK, thats enough talk about speed now I need a speed fix.
Holler up your thoughts on your systematic approach of your quest for power when you may have an idea.....we'll discuss them.... Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll let you know as soon as I decide to tweak the XT for more power wont be long I'm sure. First thing I was thinking on doing is letting it breathe better by adding a uni filter and adding a good aftermarket performance exhaust just about done with the add-ons. One thing I figured out about add-ons is it's better ( faster and cheaper ) to buy on line then it is from the dealer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pretty much it's the 5.7 Hemi the only other thing i did to it is cold air intake and performance exhaust. they had the speed limiter set at 180 Kph, it use to hit to 180 and then the engine would just shut right down and that was in third gear, it has a 5 speed auto. You would be surprised with just taking the speed limiter off how much more speed you get. Right now it's running around 375 horse stalk is 345 horse.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Pretty much it's the 5.7 Hemi the only other thing i did to it is cold air intake and performance exhaust. they had the speed limiter set at 180 Kph, it use to hit to 180 and then the engine would just shut right down and that was in third gear, it has a 5 speed auto. You would be surprised with just taking the speed limiter off how much more speed you get. Right now it's running around 375 horse stalk is 345 horse.
Guys sleep on those 5.7 jeeps all the time, they are fast. The commander is crazy fast but its also crazy dangerous due to its poor suspension. The Polaris XP has a much better suspension for high speed operations but I can't deal with all the other issues on the Polaris. After getting Andrew's LT kit I finally feel that when I'm running 75 mph OFFROAD that the car definitely handles the rough terrain. Just like you I'm a speed freak but I just want to get to 75 mphs faster. This week the car goes to a local performance shop to get new custom cams and head work completed, and the muzzy exhaust with a close loop air/fuel setup. This will definitely allow it to accelerate a lot faster. BTW the BRP gizmo is a must. The commander does not cut out over bumps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts