Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a cool machine these Commanders are.
So they call for a 10 hr or 200 mi Break-in inspection.
When I first drove my Commander it made all sort of noises so I checked everything out after 4 hours.
Front and rear differentials need lube so I topped them off gearbox and everything was great drove 555.7 miles
Over the last two weekend and I had a blast.
On to the service I performed today at 24 hours on Commander.
The engine oil was great looking as if it was new when I drained it and didn't use a drop.
The valve settings are fine, they call for .0024-.0055 int. and .0043-.0075 ex. So I didn't change.
Both front and rear diff lube was changed with Mobile 1 no metal found and lube smelled good.
I check coolant and it was full and I never had an over heating problem so there was no reason to put pressure to the system.
The drive and driven clutches looked great and belt stilled looked new cleaned so I cleaned them with acetone and buttoned everything up. (one problem I found was my air boot for fresh air inlet had dry rot)
My air box had orange pices in the clean side of air box from filter. When the filter was made it had a little to much silicone spill on to the wire mesh and started to flake off being sucked into the engine. Took a wire brush to it and alls fine now.
I also learned that after every ride I will be pulling skid plates off and cleaning and applying anti seize to all bolt on skid plates.
In short if a dealer does all the maintenance I have done today for $250 it would be a deal and would more than likely not be able to stay in business if they did everything BRP wants them to do just for the fact that each machine would take ten hours to go completely through.
I really think BRP wants these Commanders to last 25,000 miles without any major services. Mine will:)

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
And you have to appreciate that when the first few waves of 10 hr Commanders started coming into the service bays, the mechanics knew nothing about them....so I can imagine some dealers tacking on a couple of hours learning curve for mechanics reading the Commander bible and charging the consumer for it ....and other dealers ate the studying time, like all should have done IMO

sent from my twin-turboed Razr

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you change the trans oil also? The 2012 models don't require a head re-torque but some are still loose at the 10hr service. We still torque the heads at 10hrs. Did you check the torque?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes Torqued the head bolts to 15lbs the two 6m bolts were loose. (no I didnt tq them to 15)THe gearbox ol was changed and cleaned speed sensor.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Nice job on all your maintenance Sonny.....did you top off the rear-end to bottom of filler hole? Not sure of long term adverse effects of over filling the rear-end, but I did put the level per the service manual ....a real PITA to do, but did it anyway ...

sent from my twin-turboed Razr

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really think you would be ok with a little extra in the diff over being low as long as its coming out a little you'll be good just don't put the machine on its side to fill it..lmao
The only down fall to over filling is it could push out the seals when extremely hot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts