Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just added a flex a lite fan control switch thats adjustable from 160-220 to my commander. it makes it run at 160-170 insted of 203-208. noticable power from running cooler, it definitly seems to have more responce when cruzin and you stomp on it. not as hot as before in the cab and now when trail riding my temp bar only goes up to the 2nd bar insted of the 4th. i also put that flex a lite fan controller on a switch so if i wanted to run it stock i just turn off the switch and its back to factory settings.
they say canam had there machines setup to run 160-170 but had to run them hotter to pass california regulations.

also people got 2-5 more hp, i guess the hp gain is whats lost on a hot engine, 1-3 more mph out of there commanders and quicker to that mph, better gas milage and all for under 50 bucks! scott

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes flexalite or hayden , mod works great see thread " Heat "

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea it seemed to work great this past weekend

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Great info ...thanx for posting ....these Rotax engines do run pretty hot from the factory for sure! .....Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
model 31147, very easy to install. it just needs a power wire to the 1 plug and the other goes to your fan posative wire wich is the blue. i didnt cut the fan wire i just cut the sheathing off so i would be able to run the stock setup if i wanted. i mounted the fc under the hood and have the thermostat knob basically all the way down.
if you wire it to a switch, run a hot wire to the posative prong on the switch. then the other prong of the switch run a wire from that to the posative prong of the fc. then the other prong of the fc to the posative wire of the fan wich is the blue. dont cut the blue just tap into it. running a switch just alows you to turn off the fc and run it stock incase you want the heat (maybe for winter time).

Reactions: LBR

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes, it should be

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
model 31147, very easy to install. it just needs a power wire to the 1 plug and the other goes to your fan posative wire wich is the blue. i didnt cut the fan wire i just cut the sheathing off so i would be able to run the stock setup if i wanted. i mounted the fc under the hood and have the thermostat knob basically all the way down.
if you wire it to a switch, run a hot wire to the posative prong on the switch. then the other prong of the switch run a wire from that to the posative prong of the fc. then the other prong of the fc to the posative wire of the fan wich is the blue. dont cut the blue just tap into it. running a switch just alows you to turn off the fc and run it stock incase you want the heat (maybe for winter time).
Thanx Scott....you rock!.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i drilled a little hole in the plastic shroud and stuck it through the top drivers side corner of the radiator.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for the info, I installed one over the weekend but was leary about putting it there worried about vibration wearing through the radiator. I tapped mine to the return hose seems to work ok but have not had a chance for a big ride yet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i havnt seen the hayden kit but herd it has a few extra wires to it and its cheaper. the flex a lite has 2 wires so theres nothing to try figuring out. any auto parts store carries fc's, just a matter of what brand they have.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I have the K&T black box but have yet to try it. If it doesn't bring the temps down that much I might go this route.

Thanks for the tip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts